Chapter 17: Getting Ready For College

Niki: I had a sheet stating how Miley and I had decided to design our dorm, along with how big the dorm was. My dad walked along with me.

“Miley said we should stick to a music theme, so I was thinking something like this,” I said, holding up a comforter with cassette tapes in a pattern in black and white. My dad nodded. I threw it in the cart.

“Sounds good,” he said. I smiled.

“And a desk lamp would probably be a good idea,” I said, grabbing a bright pink one and throwing it in. I had sketched the idea’s out on a piece of paper. I grabbed a string of lights, an idea Miley and I had decided on together.

“So are you looking forward to college?” my dad asked.

“Yeah,” I said, “All studies on music, not to mention trying a totally new place to live, so its a total adventure, along with living with someone I’ve only met over email. Its all so exciting,” I said.

“Sounds like it,” he said, “I’m proud you’re going.”

“Thanks,” I said.

“This is something I have never done,” he said, “It sounds actually kind of terrifying to me though.” I laughed.

“I don’t think it sounds so bad,” I said, “Maybe I’ll pick up an accent like mom’s.” This time my dad laughed.

“Totally different part of the country,” my dad said.

“Whatever,” I said, “It all sounds the same to me.”

“Yeah,” he said, “That’s what you think when you get there. Your mom hears a difference in everywhere. And the people who live in the South have a totally different way of talking.”

“I wonder what part Miley’s from,” I said, throwing an alarm clock into the cart.

“Maybe you should ask that,” my dad said, “You know, once you meet her and all.”

“Totally,” I said. I examined a canvas picture that said Be The Rock To My Roll in different red fonts. I shrugged and decided I would talk to Miley about wall art. I did however by a set of six frames,so I could frame a bunch of pictures of my best buds back home.

“So what are you going to do once you get out of college?” my dad asked.

“Hopefully play piano on a few professional tracks. Maybe guitar. I guess I don’t really know,” I said, “Something in music.”

“Well, going to Julliard opens up the whole world to you,” my dad said, “And on scholarship.”

“I know,” I said, its crazy.

We went to a record store, where I bought some record frames. It would never be home it I didn’t have music covering my walls too. I also went and found some cool extra stuff with a music theme. I was taking my instruments with me, including my hooks and stands for them all. I also bought a bunch of stuff I would need for college, such as a shower tote, flip flops for going to the showers, towels, shampoo, conditioner, laundry detergent for days, power strips, you know that kind of thing. I slowly checked off the stuff we needed.

When we got home, my mom greeted us, “Are you ready for college now?”

“Of course,” I said, holding up three of the bags we had. She smiled.

“I’ll help you carry some of the stuff in,” she said. I nodded,and started bringing in the rest.”

I emailed Miley what I had gotten. I hoped she would like it all. I was extremely excited to meet her. I crossed of today on my calendar. Two weeks left until I left for New York. I felt excitement crawling into my stomach. Yet, I also felt nervous. Life without my parents. Without my best friends. It was crazy. But I was ready. I kept telling myself this.