Chapter 18: End of Camp Finale

Carly: Camp was almost over. I was seated at my easel, finishing the painting I had been working on all summer: A painting of the lake. Finally I added the last bits to the painting. I had finished. I smiled with my work.

“Oh my gosh girl,” Kaylie said, “You are totally going to have to email me when we get home.”

“Totally,” I said, happily. We were dressed in our swimsuits, going for a last swim in the lake.

“Me too,” Jennifer said, “Don’t forget me!”

“And you would never forget me,” Bailey said.

“My email is lalalauren@gmail.com,” Lauren said.

“Ooh, I’m so going to email you like a creepy stalker person,” a random boy walking

“Okay okay, I wouldn’t forget about you guys,” I said. They laughed. We reached the dock, and Jennifer darted forward, then jumped off the dock. Bailey followed her, then I followed them.

“I’m so going to miss this place,” I said, floating on my back.

“You better not get all sentimental now,” Bailey said, “We’ve still got the party tonight.”

“We do,” I said, smiling.

That night I stood in my pink sundress, my blond hair tied in a loose braid. It was time for the final party.

I arrived in the cafeteria, which had been transformed into a dance slash art gallery. A few pieces of my art hung on the walls, including my piece I had done for the cabin. I looked around at all the pieces before I went to grab some fruit punch.

“Hi,” a boy said.

“Hi,” I said, smiling.

“Carly right?” the boy said.

“Yeah,” I said, “Who are you?”

“Ray,” the boy said, “So you got the cabin this year?”

“Yeah,” I said.

“That’s cool. I’m jealous,” he said.

“It is pretty cool,” I said.

“I liked your drawing,” he said.

“Thanks,” I said.

“Will you be back next year?” Ray asked.

“Hopefully,” I said.

“I’ll see you there,” he said. I blushed. He was kind of cute, in the artist sort of way. I smiled.

“Who’s this?” Kaylie asked, smiling and coming up behind me.

“Oh, Kaylie this is Ray,” I said, introducing them.

“Hey,” Ray said.

“Hi,” Kaylie said.

“Well, um, Carly, I guess I’ll see you next year,” he said. I nodded and he walked away.

“Wow,” she said, “I leave you alone for five minutes and you can pick up...that.”

“Whatever,” I said. I worked my way to the dance floor where I danced for hours. They even played Live While We’re Young. I was sad to leave. I would miss my friends here. But I could only imagine what was going on at home. I couldn’t help wondering a little about how Darcy’s video was doing. According to my mom a week ago she had been on a talk show. That was crazy. I couldn’t wait to hear more.

*****************************************

The next day my parents picked me up. I said goodbye to my friends and headed home. These two weeks had been great. I couldn’t wait till next year.