Chapter 15

I grew accustomed to the cold walls, the horrid smell and noisy cell mates. I always told myself that I wasn't Kayla anymore, that I would grow up and she would only be part of me, in the past. How has my life come to this? As a child, I knew I was different from the others. You can never predict what your life is going to be like in the future, and this is a fact.

Twelve years in this place and I no longer cry about it; I keep to myself and I never stopped writing. The one thing I was actually good at, I never stopped. I carved into the wall and cement ground letters and words and usually write myself short stories so I can read when I get bored.

I thought about the people in my old life a lot. I wonder what Mr. and Mrs. Ian did, I wonder if either of them died from a disease or if they have forgotten about me, I bet they did. I wonder how all the people in my fourth grade class turned out. I wasn't there to experience middle or high school or college. I bet all of them are living their perfect lives with nice, shiny cars and families.

I always wondered how different my life would be if I never got caught. Somehow I knew the day was coming. It could be ten years from now or tomorrow; whenever it was, I knew I would get turned in. You could never escape with such a crime; a lot of people have but it all catches up with them in the end.

The figure at the corner of my cell walked over, and I just smiled and continued to carve.

"Even prison is too good for you," Don said.

I just smiled and continued to write the letter, 'happy' into the ground. "I know."

"You belong in hell where you will rot and pay for all of your sins." He spat.

"Hell? I am in hell, this is what the world is." I just laughed, clearly unaffected by any of his words.

"You have always been so stupid, girl. You were a mistake. All the abortion attempts and you still decided to be born, it's all your fault." My mother appeared beside him, scowling.

"I know," I laughed.

"I have been providing the best for you and all you've ever done was throw it away, now look at you." Mrs. Ian appeared next to both of them.

"You were always mean." I stated.

"You ruined my last chance to ever see my son again. I have been counting down the days to be able to get him into my custody and you ruined it all." The woman Jane cried.

"He was annoying." I rolled my eyes at her.

"You will pay someday," all of them said at once and disappeared.

I continued to carve. I won't let what any of them have to say, affect me.

How dare she say it is all my fault for everything? It's everyone else's fault. I didn't do anything, I have always been innocent and people decided to trigger my emotions and now this all happened, but I don't care.

"Mrs. Parker, you have a visitor." Someone's voice snapped me out of it.

"A visitor?" I asked, my voice scratchy. Who could possibly want to visit me?

The man looked older and had stubble on his chin.

"Travis." I said and jumped up, running to the cell gate.

"I thought you've forgotten about me." I admitted, almost sprawling to tears.

"No, I haven't, Ma—Kayla, I mean." He corrected himself and looked down.

"Why are you here?" I asked him.

"I am going to get you out of here." He said lowly.

"Why? Why would you want to do that?" I stared at him through the cell to the other side. "I thought you think of me as some monster."