Chapter 4

The family couldn't bear to lose Don, the oldest child of the household and the most mature. I was always compared to him, he was like a king and I was the peasant.

Mrs. Ian was a hardworking woman but this loss really had her worked up. She couldn't eat or clean or do anything really, it was all because of what I did.

"Who did this to my Don? Who killed poor Don? He never did anything wrong." Mrs. Ian would always say.

She wanted an answer but of course I wouldn't give her one. The police came by and they couldn't find out who would do such a thing, we were all interviewed about what we thought of Don.

I told them someone really angry probably came along and killed him. I said that when someone is really mad, they'll do anything to make them feel better. They seemed confused by my lengthy answer but they asked so I answered.

Mrs. Ian was never so nice to me but now she's even meaner. She barely gave me food and I had to make my own breakfast, lunch and dinner. For my dinner, I just prepared some leftover potatoes but they were cold because I didn't heat them up. She gave me an attitude and told me it was my fault that Don is dead.

"Why?" I asked her. Did she find out?

"Don went looking for you outside. You were inside, but when I called your name for dinner you stayed in your room. I made Don go looking for you and someone killed him!" Mrs. Ian always finds a way to put the blame on me.

"I had nothing to do with Don dying! Why don't you stop blaming everything on me?" I fired back.

"You watch your tone, young lady. Don't speak to her like that." Mr. Ian replied and glared at me and I sighed.

"That's right. To your room you go," Mrs. Ian crossed her arms and I stomped to my bedroom and slammed the door closed, I think I heard Mr. Ian curse at my behavior.

I don't think I've ever had a good day. I always get yelled at, blamed for things, put down and I'm always sent to my bedroom.

"I hate all of you!" I screamed without thinking.

I heard loud footsteps coming towards the room and I regretted saying that. I just caused more problems for me.

The door swung open and Mrs. Ian stood there, tears running down her angry face and she always looks beautiful, but now she looks like a witch.

"You are so much trouble girl! You're the only problem in this family! Everything was fine until we took you in, why did we anyway? Everyday it's a new problem with you. And you're not even grateful we took you in. I don't want to hear from you for the rest of the day or night!" Mrs. Ian screamed at me.

"Good! I don't wanna see any of you assholes anyway!" I countered.

She gasped and ran up to me and slapped me across the face at my harsh language and attitude.

"That's it! You are not staying here any longer! You are going to the orphanage. I'm sick and tired of wasting my days trying to take care of you." Mrs. Ian turned around and slammed the door really loud, I'm surprised it didn't break.

I heard Mr. and Mrs. Ian arguing outside my door and I knew it was best if I just stay in my room. I wonder what the other kids here are doing. I wonder if they're asking each other, 'why are they fighting?' Because they hardly ever fight unless something really bad or serious happens.

I dug in my closet for my old notebook and ripped a piece of paper out of it. I sat cross-legged on my bed and started to write down a note; When I was done writing the letter, I climbed out of the window.

"You'll never see me again. -Kayla"