Chapter 3

"Do you think we should tell her?" I heard Don, my foster brother say.

"Are you kidding me? That might be the dumbest thing I'd ever do. Of course not." Mrs. Ian replied. It sounded like they were in the kitchen, which isn't far from my room.

"She has a right to know. It's her mother. Or was." Don replied, and I quickly opened the door. The two of them looked startled from my appearance.

"Kayla! You scared me," Mrs. Ian said and looked at me. "Oh God, you look dreadful. Why don't you wash up before breakfast?"

"I heard you both talking about my mother. Thought you didn't want the past being brought up?" I pushed.

"Now you're eavesdropping. You're just too much, aren't you?" She replied.

"What should you tell me? I have a right to know!" I said, and looked at Don, I heard him say those words.

Mrs. Ian sighed.

"Your mother died from a drug overdose, this was a while ago. It just got brought up, I don't know.. I'm sorry." She shrugged. I know Mrs. Ian cared, she doesn't show much emotion but she is a loving person. But I'm not focused on that, I'm angry now.

"You weren't gonna tell me?" I frowned.

"C'mon Kayla, not this nonsense now. It's too early in the morning. Remember what I said about thinking about your past, what happened had happened so no need to get upset." She huffed and got up, ready to prepare breakfast.

The loss of my mother was no real loss to me. I know it sounds horrible to say, but it isn't. I hardly knew my mother. She was rebellious and only cared about being a whore, I bet she was a stripper too. She didn't care about me, I was just the creation of some careless act with a random, strange man. I knew I would never, ever find out who my father is.

"Kayla, it's fine. Just sit down." Don told me and I sat down at the table.

"What's that?" He asked me.

"What?"

"That. On your face?" Don pointed at my cheek, I touched it and winced. I forgot it was bruised, all because of stupid little Ramona and her lying mouth.

"I got beat up," I admitted.

"You what?" Mrs. Ian turned around. She was hovering over the stove, cooking scrambled eggs.

"This girl beat me up." I told her.

"Oh, are you seriously lying again? You are trouble, girl." She shook her head.

"The principal said fair and square that you were the one who hurt her. So don't be running your mouth." She held the spatula in her hand and continued to cook.

"Wow. Since when do you fight?" Don replied.

"I..." I didn't know what to say. No one believes me. To everyone, I am just a pathetic liar who only does bad things.

"I'm tellin' you, Don, you are so much better and easier to handle than her. I know it's because you're older, but still." Mrs. Ian laughed and I couldn't help but frown.

"What's that delicious smell?" Mr. Ian says and he enters the kitchen. He is still in his PJs, and his dark hair is a mess on his head.

"Breakfast." Mrs. Ian smiled and set a plate on the table, and Mr. Ian eagerly sits in front of the plate, immediately eating.

Mrs. Ian was really pretty, I have to admit. Her pale skin never tanned, so she makes sure she leaves the house with extra sunscreen to maintain her perfect porcelain skin tone. She had light brown hair and always had makeup on.