Chapter 11

Every day seemed to be the same, my life was definitely not how I expected it to turn out. I thought that in the hands of Mrs. Ian, I would turn out just like her but I guess not.

"Maggie? Aren't ya having more?" One of my careless friends held out the bottle of brown liquor to me and to my own surprise, I shook my head no. I was already heavily intoxicated and high. This is what I do with my 'friends' and boyfriend now.

Most of these people I call friends dropped out of high school, or still go for a short amount of time to claim they've got an education. It's been six years since I've ever done anything.. like how I used to. I wanted to live a different life and be a completely different person and I can't be found out now. But why? I've committed murders of innocent people, I'm just being a coward running away. I shook the thought from my head. I was not going to put myself down for this.

"Thanks for the case tonight, Mag. I'll pay next time," one of the guys said and then coughed up a lot of smoke and laughed.

"With what money?" I asked and laughed too. I couldn't see straight but this was every night for me.

"No clue, I'll be a prostitute like you," he laughed and I just scowled and laughed.

"You better be careful baby, you don't wanna get caught don't you? Then they'll bust us all for the drugs and booze." My boyfriend leaned into me and I shivered. That's not the only thing they'll find out, from me at least.

"I'm only doing it for money," I claimed. And I was honest. It was the only way I could make money for now at least.

"Heard you're hell of a good prostitute. Were ya just born one?" Steve laughed and I wanted to get off this topic now.

Technically, yes. I was born into prostitution.

"Oh hush." I laughed. Secretly, the jab hurt me. I played it off like I was laughing with them, but I was broken inside. All I ever wanted was to escape my 'life' but it gets brought up everyday without anyone knowing.

I was only sixteen years old but I claimed I was much older to fit in with this group of people. I've never had friends before, these are the only people I can actually call my friends. When I was little, I was constantly bullied and not one person was my friend. Now that I'm a different person, I have a chance at a normal life.

You will never forget your past no matter how hard you try, my subconscious tells me and I shiver. I try to tell myself I can and will forget who I was, or used to be, Kayla, but everyday it somehow creeps into my mind.

"Where's the bathroom in this joint?" I slurred. We were in a run-down house that was Steve's.

"Up the stairs and to the right," Steve answered and then continued to tell some crazy story to the rest of the group.

I stumbled as I got up and walked over to the bathroom. I stared in the mirror, each second I looked, I could see myself, I could see Kayla. I tried to blink and have it go away, I'm not Kayla. Who's Kayla? I'm Maggie now. I tried to tell myself that this whole Kayla thing was a nightmare, that I never really was her.

An image appeared behind me and I could see in the mirror, I gasped and blinked multiple times. It's definitely a dream, it has to be. Or it's just the drugs and booze, I can't seriously be seeing this right now.

"Why did you do it?" Don asked me. This creature can't really be Don.

I didn't answer. I just gasped and then I turned around, it was gone. I looked back in the mirror and another thing popped up, I swear something's fucking with my brain.

"You are so much trouble, girl!" Mrs. Ian's face popped up and I cried.

"No matter how much you run, you won't be able to hide from what you did." And then the image vanished.

I was hovering over the rusty sink, sweating and tears running down my face, my makeup ruined.

"Everything okay in there?" Travis knocked on the door and I snapped out of it.

"Yeah.. I'm fine. I'll be out in a minute," I croaked and I could hear him walk back downstairs.

I took some of the toilet paper and wiped underneath my eyes to get rid of some of the makeup. I looked okay now. No. I looked horrible; my cheeks were red and so were my eyes, I never knew I could achieve this kind of look. But this is my normal now I guess. I walked back downstairs.