Chapter 23

Akira shuddered, There was only one word that could describe what she saw through Redemption's eyes as they approached the border; chaos. The closer they got the worse it became. Villages were burned to the ground with bodies sprawled in the dirt. Children, adults, dragons, were all among the dead. No one had yet given them a burial, as there was little time to sympathize with the dead when the living were still fighting for their lives.

For the first time since she had gone blind, Akira was tempted to withdraw to the darkness of her own eyes. No, I won't run from reality. Upon reaching the new border to Haiden's Lands, which was closer to the Academy than Akira remembered, the noise steadily grew louder. The clash of metal against metal rang throughout the air. Dragons' screams rose above it all, drowning out the dying cries of their riders.

Scores of bodies of both dragons and riders littered the ground. Some groaned in agony, injuries preventing them from joining in the fight above. A few riders crawled to their dead dragons, as if they could do something to bring them back. In return, dragons that had lost riders flew around blindly. Enraged, they lashed out at anything and anyone who was from the other side, inflicting more damage than dragons with riders.

From a mile away, Akira could see it all clearly through Redemption's eyes. To her surprise, she didn't feel the same fear that had gripped her in the previous battle. Instead, a feeling of longing swept over her, a longing to go and help.

You will not engage in battle, Brandon's stern voice echoed in her mind. At the first sign of danger, you're to turn back.

Levi had done as promised and had managed to convince Brandon to let Akira and Redemption go on patrol. Seth had come with her, as did three other riders Brandon had sent along. Will was among them, the other two were riders Akira didn't know; they seemed to be escorting her somewhat grudgingly.

What do you think, Ree? Akira asked as she used his sight to watch the battle.

Our side doesn't look outnumbered. Haiden has spread his forces out to attack at different places, after all. However... the white dragon paused.

We're still losing, Akira finished for him as she watched a light dragon plummet to the ground below. Her heart squeezed.

They seem demoralized, Redemption agreed.

"All right," Seth called over the wind as Emerald flew up beside Redemption. "We're heading back." His visor was up so that Akira could hear him better. He turned to the other three riders and motioned with his hand, pointing back in the direction they had come. The riders' dragons responded by dipping away from the battle.

Redemption continued straight for another moment before he, too, slowly turned to follow the others.

Akira tried to hide her disappointment. I want to help them, she thought.

Do you think we would make much of a difference in our state? Redemption asked.

Akira's fingers tightened around the front of the saddle. Perhaps... she thought after a moment.

That's what I was thinking, Redemption told her. Abruptly he dipped to the right, and Akira found her view changing. They were facing the battlefield once more.

"Ree?" Akira shifted uncertainly. "What are you doing?"

What does it look like? Redemption stretched his neck. We're going to help.

"What?" Even as she protested, Akira realized she didn't really want Redemption to stop. "But Brandon said..."

Redemption snorted. Akira, what good is simply going on patrol going to do? Are we just going to go back to the Academy and practice some more with Levi?