CHAPTER 3: Feelings

A/N: Hey guys! So, this chapter is where Nick starts to show feelings for Macy, neither of them really understand it yet. YET! This is one of my favorite chapters because Things really start moving forward emotionally and you find out a little more about each of them. I hope you enjoy!
TRIVIA!: Just a fun fact, "Ryan" is real, and it unfortunately is a real thing. A real tragedy. I was the one in her place, so if it cuts a little deep when she talks about Ryan, it's because I know. I've lived it. I always find a way to incorporate Ryan into my stories..well, some of them. It's sort of a trademark. Anyway, please enjoy and comment comment comment! Nice ones though! Keep it sweet and informative(:

Macy had been feeling a little down lately. She missed her father so much, and it was just a tough time of year for her. Nick began to notice her smile fade more and more until it was just rare to see it. She would just sit there sometimes and stare into space. Her excuse was always, 'I'm tired'. Nick didn't know what to do, I mean, he could cheer people up, but this was out of his expertise, so he called the one person who might know. Monroe.

*phone conversation*
Monroe: Nick! What's going on man? How's Macy?
Nick: hey! I'm good man, but Macy. There's just something, I don't know.
Monroe: Oh god is this what I think it is?!
Nick: what? I don't know that's why I called you. She's been so, quiet. And sad. I don't know it's like a whole other-- oh my god!
Monroe: what? What, did she do something? Is she on her period?
Nick: what? No, that's not for another two weeks!
Monroe: wow, you know her cycle already? You sound like you're married!
Nick: no Monroe, that's not it. She, she had a boyfriend.
Monroe: WHAT? When did this happen? Who?
Nick: no, no not like that. Her boyfriend, he died in a car accident a few years ago.
Monroe: ohhhh.. OH. Oh no that's terrible. When?
Nick: it would've been this week. I don't know what to do, how do I make her smile how can I distract her?
Monroe: Gee-uh. I don't know man, get her flowers! But don't tell her what for! If you tell her its because of her boyfriend, you'll make her relapse and relive it all then be twice as sad.
Nick: you're right! Thanks Monroe!
*hangs up*

Macy was at the spice shop with Rosalee, she had been spending a lot of time with her lately, especially since the wedding is next week! They were both excited, and seemed to try and find the right dress for Macy for that special occasion.

"So, have you told him?" Rosalee pried.
"Mm.. Not exactly." She said with a smirk.
"What do you mean not exactly!?" Rosalee asked playfully hitting Macy's arm. Macy giggled.
"I just. I tired. I just, choked. I couldn't. I can't find the right time." I admitted
"Well you know, the wedding is soon, and weddings are always romantic. You can dance and drink and eat, and even cry!" She added happily.
"I know...." Macy trailed off, losing her smile again. Rosalee noticed and put a comforting hand on Macy.
"Look, mace. I know this is a hard time for you, but maybe because it's a hard time, it's the right time to tell him." Rosalee advised.
"I can't stand it Rose. I can't! I'm falling so hard for him and I just want to, UGH!!! Kiss him and tell him everything is okay and I'm not going anywhere! You know?!" Macy blew up. Rosalee nodded.
"I know baby girl, hey! You know what. I think Nick has been a little frustrated." She said.
"What do you mean?" Macy asked curiously. Was something wrong with him?
"You know what I mean! He's got a hot young girl living with him, you guys share everything, bathroom, laundry, food. He gets to see your underwear in the laundry. He gets to see you strut around the house in a towel after you've showered and forgot to grab clothes. He's sexually frustrated! Maybe after all the romance at the wedding, you two can go home and have a little fun!" Rosalee clued in.
"OH! Goodness.. I uh.. I don't.. Know..." Macy started to say.
"You're a virgin!" Rosalee discovered by Macys tone.
"Yea... I am. So... It's hard."
"But, answer this, is he special to you?" Rosalee asked her.
"Damn near my world.." She admitted.
"Do you trust him?"
"With every ounce in me." Macy answered honestly.
"Then you could possibly trust him to take your virginity, without breaking your heart." Rosalee stated.
"True.. That is so.. TRUE! God wouldn't that be amazing... Nick taking my virginity. I mean, you've seen him.. He's so. So.."
"Hot?" Rosalee interjected with a giggle at Macy being so amateur.
"Oh, god I know it.." Macy sighed.
"Hey hum.. Maybe, I could. I could mix something up to put in his drink-"
" I don't think that's necessary Rose, hahaha! But thank you! You coullllllld, help me get dolled up, and give me some tips?" Macy asked.
"Oh my god I'd be honored! You're like a little sister! I can't wait!" Rose exclaimed happily.

Just then, the bells on the door jingled. There was someone at the counter with a 'delivery' for Macy. Mace and Rose walked up to the counter smiling at the man with the package.
"How can we help you sir?" Rose asked.
"I'm looking for a Macy Cooper? Is she here? I have a delivery for her." The man said, holding a glass vase full of two dozen pink roses, a box of chocolates and a super soft teddy tied to it with ribbon.
"I'm, Macy Cooper." She said as she curiously walked over to the counter.
"Oh yes uh, there's a delivery here for you, says it's from the Portland PD." The man said, handing her the flowers.
Macy's heart fluttered, did Nick just send her an anonymous package?! She looked to Rose who was smiling big and raising her eyebrows. When the man left, Rosalee and Macy took a closer look at the package as they excitedly squealed. There was a note attached to it, Rosalee took it off the bouquet and began reading it.
"Macy, Saw this and thought of your pretty smile. I thought how much you'd smile by seeing it. You always enjoy the smallest things in life. I love that about you. Just remember that you have so many people that care for you, girl. P.S, I read the note in my drawer! Cute, and I love the picture too!" Rosalee pouted and began to 'awwww' as she got teary eyed. Macy smiled so big, the grabbed the note to read it herself. She smiled and spun around, trying to catch her breathe and grip what had just happened. She looked back at Rose.
"Oh my gosh!!! Did this really happen Rosalee!? Nick sent me flowers!" Macy shouted so excitedly. The rest of the day she had a smile across her face.

Macy looked at the time and decided she'd better head out to the precinct. She took her flowers, and the bear, and walked up the street. About three blocks later she arrived at the Portland precinct. When she walked in the door, everybody awed and clapped, causing Macy to turn red with embarrassment. She sat down at Nick's desk, and noticed the small picture she printed out almost a month ago and put in his desk drawer, now taped to the desk. Captain Renard walked out of his office, smiling when he noticed the flowers, he went to where she was sitting.
"So, I see you've gotten our present? Did you like it?" He asked her smiling.
"I did, thank you!" She said.
"Thank Nick. It was all him. He cares for you. I'm not sure in what way, but he cares. What I sense with him, is so strong, the way he protects you.he never stops talking about you." Sean said.
"Huh, really?"she asked him.
"If I'd been anyone else I'd think you've began falling for him." He added, giving her that look.
"Ha-uhhm.. What?" She asked trying to avoid it. Sean gave her a silly look, shook his head and smiled.
"I'll see you guys at the wedding I suppose?"
"Yes of course! See you there!"
"I expect a dance from you, princess." He added before walking away again.
"I promise!" She yelled before he disappeared.

That night her and Nick got home, Macy was still so happy. She was sitting at the table drinking tea and Nick was grabbing a beer.
"Thank you," she said.
"For?" He asked, leaning against the counter with the beer in his hand. Macy got up, it's time to be brave. But not scare him away. She moved closer to him, and slid her arms up his shoulders slowly. Her hands rested at the nape of his neck as he leaned his head down to meet her face.
"The flowers, and my bear. I love them. And you were right, I've been smiling all day I think I need to unscrew my smile, it almost hurts already." They chuckled as they stood that way for a moment in time. She leaned up on her toes, kissing him on the cheek very softly, looked at him once more before going to take a shower.

Nick was sitting up in bed watching tv, like he does almost every night. Macy got out of the shower and made her way to his room. She knocked on the open door, causing him to look to her,
"Got room for one more?" She asked smiling at him. He smiled back at her and nodded. She got a running start before jumping and crashing onto his bed, laughing as she rolled over onto his lap, he laughed as well. She snuggled herself onto the pillow next it him and pulled the covers up.
Nick looked down at her for a moment and then spoke,
"Macy?" He said quietly.
"Yea Nick?"
"Tell me about Ryan?" He asked.
"Well, he was.... The best boyfriend. So protective, loving... So strong. I just. I was so. Happy. You know?" She told him with a break in her voice. Nick noticed she was intrigued by the conversation, as if she wanted to be asked about him.
"I can't imagine how that felt baby I'm so sorry." He said, rubbing his thumb on her hand. She sat up in bed, and waited for a moment. He could tell she was thinking about it.
"What? What is it?" He asked in a low tone.
"I just..I remember everything. Every single detail. The hospital room, the accident, the truck, the gashes in the concrete. The funeral, the tears and all the people. But most of all, the feelings.." She said, breaking into quiet sobs as she relived it. She couldn't help but to burry her face into Nick's chest as he squeezed his strong arms around her, letting her cry. He didn't know what to say or how to act.. All he knew was that he could hold her, and hug her. Feel her small arms squeeze his back and shoulder, smell the fruity scent of her hair from her shampoo.

The next morning, Macy woke up to an empty bed. Nick's empty bed, but there was a small piece of paper on Nick's pillow, it was a note that read:

Macy,
Hope you slept good, meet me downstairs pretty lady. (;
Nick.

She smiled at the note and decided to keep it. She tip toed curiously down the stairs, smelling a quite wonderful scent. When she finally made it to the kitchen, she was greeted by a very happy Nick. He ran up and hugged her, then kissed her forehead, causing her to smile and think,
*i could really get used to this.*
The two enjoyed a nice breakfast, followed by Macy getting ready to drive to the spice shop. Just when she grabbed the keys to her car, Nick stopped her.
"Let me take you today?"
She gave him an unwilling look.
"Please?" He begged, holding her hands, and sneakily taking the keys from her hand, leaving her breathless at his touch. How could she say no to that? To his soft blue eyes, his body close to hers. She was definitely falling. He began to move closer, staring at her lips, when his phone started ringing. He snapped out of his gaze with a serious face.
"Burkhardt."he said as he always does. That name, Burkhardt.. It sent chills throughout her body. Everything about him was just. Beautiful. He looked back to her and said,
"Change of plans, Monroe and I are going to try on tuxes again, and you and Rose are going to get you a dress. It's at the same place so well all be together. We can take my car." He said smiling. He liked the idea of having the day off and spending it with her.

They arrived at the dress shoppe and met up with the guys. Before they parted ways to try on their wardrobe, Nick grabbed Macy's hand,
"We'll catch up over there with you girls when were done okay?" He said smiling at her, a different smile. A loving smile. Then, he leaned towards her and planted a soft kiss on her cheek, making sure she felt him smiling through the kiss. Her stomach did so many flips and turns, her knees went weak and she shook like a leaf! She shuddered in his ear, and he pulled back away, but staying close. She was speechless. She nodded and smiled at the man infront of her. Nick. Burkhardt. He's so sweet.

Rose and Macy went to the other side, trying on dresses for Macy.

Nick's P.O.V
Monroe and I were making sure the measurements were right on our tuxes.
"So, this Macy?" Monroe asked
"What about her?" I asked him.
"I gotta tell you man, no offense but she's a REALLY beautiful girl. Like, insanely pretty." Monroe said.
"Yes, and?" I questioned, knowing Monroe was prying.
"And... Don't you ever get, you know. Curious?"
Nick looked at him and chuckled.
"More than you know man. I tell ya, she's a looker. And doesn't she have a-"
"Really nice ass!" We said in unison.
"I know! Dude, do you know she sleeps with me some nights?" I asked quietly.
"WHAT?!" Monroe almost shouted.
"No!not like THAT, I mean, she'll come to my room if she has a bad dream or if she's just..lonely."
"Nick, she IS lonely. You both are! Which is why I think you two should come to the weddings as a wedding date." Monroe suggested. I gave him an almost convinced look. What if she did like me?
"I mean think about it Nick, it's been a year for you, two for her. You're living in a house, alone with her! And don't even say you don't like her, judging by the way you two were a few minutes ago, you can definitely tell there's something going on there!" Monroe protested.
"I know, Monroe it's just. I don't know what she thinks. Girls are so complicated. " I said, thinking about it.
"Nick, she sleeps in your arms, she blushes at the sight of you, and when you're near her, it's like she glows. OF COURSE SHE LIKES YOU. Believe me, just ask her to be your wedding date." Monroe advised. I nodded agreeing that I would. Monroe was right.. She is a gorgeous girl, she's so radiant and happy. She makes everyone instantly in a better mood because she's always laughing and makes friends with everyone. God I need help. She's 12 years younger than me. I'm a cop. What am I thinking? But she's legal. She's two months from 20. But she was born in the wrong time, I swear. She's so mature. Not like the girls her age. It might be because she was raised by her father, and he's in the military. She was raised right. Not to party or drink or do illegal things. She's pure.

I snapped out of my thoughts while I got back into my jeans and sweater. When I met up with Monroe, I checked my phone. There was a text from Macy. Monroe looked over my shoulder, noticing the name she has in my contacts. Macybaby. Because it's been her nickname since she was a kid. He gave me a look and giggled.
"Told ya."Monroe smirked.
"Shut up."
We went to find the girls on the other end of this huge wedding shoppe. We walked up to Rosalee who was excitedly smiling.
"Where is she at?" I asked confused.
"Dressing room!" She said happily.
"I picked out her dress! She loves it!" Rosalee bragged.
Just then, the mirror covered door opened and Macy, in a white, strapless dress that came up above her knees. The dress fit her personality so well. Simple, beautiful, and comfortable. Something about the way the light shined on her in the room, the way her curly brown hair fell down her fair skin, and the way she looked in that dress. Gave me butterflies. I felt sick to my stomach, like my heart dropped out of my chest. Just then, she looked at me and gave a small smile.
"Do I look okay? Be honest!" She said sweetly.
"Macy," I got up, walked over to her, and took her hands in mine. She turned a light pink and smiled so big. Her eyes were so beautiful, looking into mine, I decided to ask her now.
"Yes?" She replied as she continued to stare into my eyes.
"Do you look okay? Hmm.. Well, I would want nothing more than to be the one you dance with tomorrow night in that dress, looking as beautiful as you do." She blushed and tried to hide her excitement by putting her head down.
"Macy?" I asked and she looked up at me again.
"Will you be my wedding date?"
"Aw!! Of course Nick! I can't wait to see you in a tux!" She said so happily. The rest of the day was spent with Monroe and Rosalee, as Macy and I exchanged looks, smiles, hugs, and even an occasional kiss on the cheek! I felt invincible, I felt... Alive again.

--hey guys! Let me know how it was! His chapter took forever! The next one is the wedding and Nick and Macy share a few romantic dances! What happens when they get home? Find out soon! Love you guys!!!(: