Behind Bars

Prologue:

Twenty-five years. That's how long I am going to have to rot away in jail. I'll be fourty-three when I get out.

Two accounts of murder, and another account of attempted murder. That's what I was charged with just two weeks ago. I was found guilty, and am currently on my way to the Georgia State Prison. The current prison I was stationed at in Savannah was full and several of the convicts were being transferred to different prisons. The prisoners that did small petty crimes are going to smaller prisons. The murders on the other hand, they are going to the state prison.

I'm only eighteen. I was supposed to go finish my first year at Savannah College of Art and Design. I was studying to be a interior designer. Now that's ruined. And it's all my fault.

Prison is rough and cruel. It isn't as cushioned down as Hollywood makes it out to be. The officers enjoy beating the shit out of anyone that dares even to look at them. The food isn't cooked. If we are lucky, sometimes it'll be luke-warm. Most of the time it's half frozen. The beds are hard, the floor is more comfortable. When we want to use the bathroom or take a shower, a cop watches us- the sick bastards get turned on by watching us do these things. It's truly sickening.

To be honest, I wasn't scared in prison. I should be, but I wasn't. Fear isn't something I allow myself to feel. Sure I look like a sweet and innocent girl, but I'm not. I killed two people after all. I'm not intirely innocent.

“Sir, we are going to have to stay at our next stop.” one of the officers said to the other as he got back into the van after paying for gas.

“Why?”

“A bad hurricane is headed our way, sir.” he says.

“It's a good thing we are only a couple of miles away from our next location.”

A hurricane? That caused me to freeze. Hurricanes didn't happen in Georgia. Sure we'll get some of the impact from Florida and other states closest to use. But we've never had a hurricane headed straight for Georgia.

We arrived at the next prison. I looked outside the window. The sign said Coast Side Male Detention Center. Great, just great, I was going to be stuck in prison with a couple of males. Who knew how long I was going to be stuck here.