Conclusion: Endings Begin

CONCLUSION

How do you conclude an eternal search? You don't...you just start another book. Once, I spoke to my philosophy professor, Dr. William Moore, and asked him about becoming a philosopher, and after some discussion he said something profound. "Olan, the problem with being a philosopher is as you age your philosophies change. What you proclaimed early in life you later retract, but once you offer the world your philosophy, it's out there, and no one will read your retraction. You can shout at the top of your lungs, 'Forget what I said before that's all wrong...' they will not hear you." With my poetry, I don't have to worry about being wrong; it is what the reader believes that matters, because the reader is always right. Someone once asked, "What's it all about?" The answer is it is about you. The moment you say it is about me, you become trivial. I am a poet, because I do not have to state my philosophy categorically, rather; I can offer the world my views in metaphors. I can paint existence with words, and in the next book I can continue, because; endings begin.

Endings Begin

©2014, Olan L. Smith

--

Reverberations from the tunnel now speak clearly;

Once, merely whispers, echoes in far distances;

Tonight's dawn dims hope of morning's eve,

--

Rustling leaves cast long shadows as tomorrow rises,

And life sinks into the sea, as ocean shorebirds pursue

Last morsels, the waves lap and the tides wash

--

Away existence, from behind; jackals laugh

Raucously, "I told you this day would come."

Gentle nudges of the past are now shoves,

--

Heels pressing deep in the sand leave gouges

Trailing toward endless seas,

And we return full circle. Endings begin.