Chapter 15: A Mixture Of "Exciting" And "Scary"

Chapter 15: A Mixture Of “Exciting” And “Scary”

I never, even once, thought that Zach Matthews could get more adorable than he already was.

I cracked a little smile as I watched him in amusement, looking like a little kid as he licked his chocolate ice cream enjoyingly. Both sides of his mouth were smeared but he was too busy eating to even notice it, which made the whole picture looked more amusing.

“Hey why are you smiling?” Zach asked, pulling me out of my thoughts. He had a bemused look on his face which might’ve looked serious sans the stain near his lips.

“Nothing,” I answered quickly using my best monotone.

Zach obviously didn't buy it because his eyes narrowed and one of his eyebrows rose, pulling off a skeptical yet amused look. “You seemed amused about something,” he said again, eyeing me suspiciously.

“Like I said, it’s nothing,” I said and gave him a small smile.

“Just with the way you look at me, it seems like I have dirt on my face or something.”

I stifled a chuckle. “Well actually, you’re sort of right except for the dirt part.”

He looked confused for a moment but then his face lit up as if he’d just discovered something. He then reached for his face and wiped some of the ice cream off of it. “You’re so evil. Why didn’t you tell me I had ice cream all over my face?”

“Because you look good with it?” I offered.

At this, Zach made a face and pouted. “Nah, I know you’re just being your old evil self.”

“Says the guy who tricked me into watching sordid scenes from the movie earlier,” I retorted.

“Well, then, I think we’re even,” he said and stuck a tongue out at me.

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever you say.”

If you’re wondering what on earth we were doing, eating ice cream late at night, then you should know it was good old Zach’s idea. We were currently at the town park, sitting at one of the benches, eating the ice cream we bought at the nearby one-stop shop.

My eyes darted around and realized that the park was almost empty except for a few teenagers including us lounging around doing some random stuff. The night was calm except for the sound of cars rushing in speed and the melodic breeze of the rustling night wind. To say the least, the evening was wonderful.

“There are a lot of stars tonight,” Zach said, snapping me out of my reverie. He was done eating and was now staring at the sky, noticeably wearing a full smile which seemed to contain something unrecognizable.

“Yeah, that’s a good thing because that would mean it won’t rain,” I told him.

“Looks like it,” he said back.

I followed his gaze and found myself staring at the night sky. Sure enough a lot of stars were there like what Zach had said.

After a few moments, he spoke again, “So, are you having fun so far?”

I laughed at his ridiculous question. “What kind of question is that? Of course I’m enjoying the night – especially with you around, what could go wrong?” I kid.

It was Zach’s turn to laugh. “You are so silly, you know that? Not that it’s not cute anyway…”

Upon hearing his comment, I lowered my gaze. “Cute? If there’s anything that could describe me, cute is definitely not one of them.”