Chapter 30: We Were Both Twelve When I First Saw You

Omg the title sounds so stupid but I've been listening to t swift soooo

Chapter 30: We Were Both Twelve When I First Saw You

"Wow, why are you so dressed up?" Chase suddenly asked when I reached the living room, his eyes darting from my head to toe.

I instantly felt conscious and nervously tugged at the hem of my skirt.

"I have a date," I told him casually, ignoring the effect his gaze is causing.

"Really?" He asked, his voice full of disbelief. "With whom?"

"Dave," I simply said and fixed my hair. "What's with the 20 questions?"

He looked taken aback at my response. "Nothing," he said, shrugging. "I was just curious. I thought I've already warned you about Thurman."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm going to be fine Chase," I told him. "I've learned how to deal with stuff like this, so I'm going to be fine."

"I'm just saying," he muttered.

I understand where he's getting at but I know I can handle myself. I've dealt with cheating and lying ex-boyfriends before so nothing could get possibly worse, right?

That moment, a loud beep from outside cut me off from my thoughts. I quickly went and opened the door and sure enough, Dave was there, waiting for me in his car.

"Hey," he called, smirking at me. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah," I answered hesitantly. Is it too late to back out now?

"Hop in then," he casually ordered.

I was beginning to think this wasn't a good idea.

Just as I was about to move my feet though, Chase's voice stopped me. "Dude, don't you even plan of opening the door for her? Where's your manners?" I didn't even realize he was behind me.

This seemed to get to Dave because he suddenly stepped out of his car and lazily strode towards the passenger door. "Here, you happy now, man?" His gaze was directed at Chase whose expression was now blank.

"You'd make such a great boyfriend," Chase sarcastically muttered, but Dave didn't seem to catch on.

"I know I'd be," he confidently answered. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

Stepping inside the car, I thanked Dave and settled myself comfortably. I straightened my skirt and consciously fixed my hair, making sure no strand was out of place. My eyes then darted outside the window, my heart instantly thumping when I saw Chase looking at me intensely.

He wore the same expression I remember him having when I first went on a date with Zach. It was all familiar. The way his eyebrows furrowed, the way his lips were pursed tightly, the way his eyes glinted. My heart was telling me something but I didn't want to assume and get my hopes up.

"Have fun on your date," he said when Dave has finally entered the car.

"Don't worry man," the latter answered him. "We surely will."

And as the car moved and started to set off, all I could think about was the look of blatant disapproval on Chase's face.

"What do you want to watch?" Dave asked me as we entered the mall. The night was as cliché as I'd expected it to be. It was my first date all over again.

I thought for a while before answering. "I'm okay with anything, it's up to you."

He seemed alright with my response because he didn't push any further and decided to choose a horror film.