Chapter 23: The Calm Before The Storm

So here's the chapter everyone's been waiting for. It's either you're going to hate me or love me at the end of this . LOL.

And sorry if Carli was being such a bitch last chapter. It's just that annoying ex-girlfriends just have that effect on her. Trust me, I know ;)

Chapter 23: The Calm Before The Storm

It was the day everyone was endlessly fussing about: the most awaited game between Cross and Kingsley. Hundreds of people flocked the gym, having it made difficult to pass through. Good thimg Zachprovided us with special tickets that gave us access to the seats nearer to the players. It was one of the perks of being the team captain's girlfriend.

"Wow, there's like a bazillion of people here," Gwen muttered excitedly as the two of us made our way to the seats. "Aren't you excited? This is your first game and your boyfriend's the captain."

"Of course I'm excited, " I answered, settling down. We were so close to where the players' benches were at, doubling the excitement. "Nervous, too."

"Oh come on," Gwen huffed. "There's no need. You've seen how well they play. They're so gonna win this game."

I shrugged. "Well, I certainly hope so."

A few minutes later, the cheerful clutter was replaced by thunderous cheers from the crowd. People around us started to stand up from the seats when the Cross High basketball team finally entered the gym. The guys jogged over to the benches and I smiled when I saw Zach.

He looked amazing in his uniform and as people cheered him on, I couldn't help but feel like a very proud girlfriend. When he spotted me, a wide grin appeared on his face. "Carli!"

He walked towards me and leaned in to give me a kiss. The audience cheered us on making my cheeks burn. I forgot that we were in front of a large audience. "I'm excited to see you play, I know you're gonna do amazingly."

He chuckled. "Well, with you to cheer me on, I sure will."

I laughed in reply. "Good luck, captain."

Giving me yet again another brief kiss on the cheeks, he jogged off to where his teammates were and did some warm-ups with them.

"Well, that was hot," Gwen teased, grinning at me knowingly.

Laughing, I playfully slapped her arm. "Oh, shut up."

At that moment,  the cheer squad appeared making the noise louder. They did their pre-game cheer, everyone else willingly cheering along. I instantly spotted Sarah and automatically felt uneasy like I always do whenever she's in the vicinity.

I tried to brush her away from my thoughts despite the gnawing feeling in my gut and instead focused on the players as the game started.

Everyone was in high spirits.

Cross High beat Kingsley to a pulp as the game ended with a massive gap in the final scores. Everyone from our school was either jumping around or yelling really loud in celebration of the team's victory. Even Gwen was so happy she kept hopping around like an excited kangaroo.

A lot of people crowded the winning team making it hard for me to go and meet Zach. Finally, after a lot of pushing and pulling, I found him. "Hey, you were so amazing," I told him, giving him a congratulatory hug.

"Hey, be careful if you don't want my sweat sticking to your clothes." He was laughing but returned my hug nonetheless.

"Nah. No amount of perspiration could keep me from hugging my guy."