Chapter 6: I See Sparks Fly, And No I'm Not Quoting Taylor Swift

"That Chase Hayden is just freaking annoying!" I muttered furiously as I picked an apple from the cafeteria stall and forcefully slammed it on my tray. The thought of that utterly despicable douchebag was certainly driving me insane.

Gwen grinned playfully. "You're the only person in Cross High that has actually said that," she stated matter-of-factly before picking up one as well.

We stopped in front of the register to pay for our lunch. I took that time to rant and share my predicaments to Gwen. "Oh, whatever. He's just... he's just impossible! He's so despicable and arrogant that I want to punch his freaking face."

"And be hated by his loyal supporters?" Gwen snickered. "I don't think so."

"Ugh. I don't even understand what's so good about that guy that makes people like him. I seriously think his fans are loonies."

Gwen feigned a hurt expression and sent me a frown. "Ouch."

I waved my hands frantically in an acquitting manner as I turned to face her. "No, no, you got it wrong," I stated defensively, shaking my head in the process. "What I mean is, I don't understand how he's so popular despite his cocky demeanor."

"The guy has the looks, you know," she said, shrugging. We left the lunch line as soon as we got our change and headed to the 'peaceful' part of the cafeteria.

"That's not enough," I argued as we took our seats in an empty booth. "I mean, yeah, he's definitely good-looking and extremely rich, but—"

"We're living in a material world, Carli," she interjected.

I rolled my eyes in surrender. 

She doesn't only look like a Barbie doll, but sounds like one too.

I shrugged. "I guess."

"You know what," Gwen mused. "You should actually consider yourself lucky because the Chase Hayden is giving you some of his time."

I snorted in disgust. "Wow, I'm honored."

"Just think about this," she pondered in between bites of her sandwich. "Every girl here in Cross High is practically gung ho about getting noticed by him, and that includes me, FYI. You're as lucky as a four-leaf clover."

I paused from munching on my apple and gestured crazily in the air, in an attempt to emphasize my points. "I really don't see why you're making a big deal out of this. It's not a federal case, you know," I stated. "And why are you so into that guy? He's not even that hot." I rolled my eyes in exasperation.

"Oh my gosh," Gwen gasped. "Chase Hayden is like the epitome of every girl's high school fantasies!" she protested.

"From the way you look at me, it's like I've murdered your dog or something."

Gwen crossed her arms and frowned at me. "I can't believe you just said that my Chase isn't hot, when he is indeed the embodiment of perfection," she muttered dramatically like what we're arguing about was a matter of life and death.

"He's not perfect, Gwen. Nobody is," I retorted.

She rolled her eyes in response. "Whatever. Sooner or later, you'll eventually realize that you actually like him, and before you know it, you'd probably—"

"Stop. Gwen, please stop." I paused and gave her a silencing look when she was about to speak again. "I know you're in love with that butthead but please - oh. Speaking of the devil," I muttered in annoyance as Chase "I make your panties drop" Hayden emerged in my line of vision.