Chapter 21.1: TAKEN

Copyright © zylgnagnaba 2013

It’s been fifteen minutes now, and I am still flipping through different apparels on the rack; still undecided which do I like. Harry literally dragged me inside a boutique at the right wing of Beverly Centre Shopping Mall, and it’s already been stressful. Suddenly, shopping has not been as enticing as it would usually be for me as before.

“You already picked any?” Harry speaks up from behind me, looking over my shoulder which made me slightly jump. I thought he’s at the other side of the store, cherry-picking for himself. I never even felt him approaching. Sneaky.

“Not yet.” I sigh in disappointment to myself and I think he knows it as he lays his hand on my waist comfortably. “I don’t understand…” I start, confusion clear in my voice as I whisper to him so only two of usjo could hear. “The prices do not match to the quality of these clothes.” I grimace at the clothes, shrugging.

“Look at this one.” To my word, I take one garment from the rack, a long cream cardigan extending to cover half of the thighs. “The fabric is so thin, you can only use this one time. This will shred after throwing this in the washing machine.” I cringe, my tone a little harsh. “And look at the price,” I request him, pulling the tag of the garment to let him see the expensive numbers punched on it. “Isn’t it unreasonable?” I remark, waving my hand in the air disapprovingly and face Harry finally after putting the garment back to its previous place.

Harry laughs at my argument. He actually laughs and it’s annoying that I raise my brows at him, appalled by his reaction. He notices and pauses for a bit until a little smile form on his playful lips once again.

“Come on, Valerie. Just pick anything.” He sways; giggling at me. “And please…” He stretches out the second word in a way that is quite appealing to me. “… Don’t look at the price.”

A realization hits me. Why would he be bother by my opinion when money isn’t even a problem for him? He’s a billionaire but I am not going to use it for my own benefit. I know he wouldn’t even be bothered by any clothes I’d choose and how much it cost; but I really think it’s impractical to just buy something with an unreasonable price. Even I myself am a little surprised with my considerations. I’ve grown up a lot after years living on my own. I’ve struggled a lot with money for two years and though it’s different now, I still have to be smart.

“Can we go to another store instead?” I beg him, pulling off one of that cute smile I give him that does not work usually, but I hope this time will. I really don’t like this shop, at all.

Knowing he wouldn’t win over this – I am not going to buy anything from here --, he lets out a little sigh as if I forced him, “Fine.” He says, grabbing my hand as we head out of the store; Tom following us from behind.

We take the luxury to stroll the mall just as casual as any others. Tom says we have to act normal so that fans wouldn’t – if they do; only few would-- recognize us, in addition to our little disguises. I wear my normal clothes; blue denim tight jeans and yellow lacy blouse with shades on. I don’t know if it helps, but I know the boys’ fans aren’t just stupid for Harry not to be recognized with only his beanie, tight jeans and plain white shirt; also wearing his Ray Bans on.

We walk along the straight promenade and I spot another department store on our left side, welcoming me with a warm ambience. This time, I drag Harry along with me and I smile at the cheeky lady behind the counter who smiles as soon as she figures we’re proceeding inside the store where she’s working. I can’t imagine how hard it is how she must plaster that wide smile on her face for the sake of her job. We have a fair share with that. Ahm, actually, NO. Her job is even harder than modelling, I think. Or maybe mine’s harder.