Chapter 2

-So how was that? Not very good I know but if you read this far thanks because its going to get better-

   I duck behind a wheelbarrow. The boys stop and yell for help. Soon a man comes in. Then another with a stretcher. They load him on and go away.

    Checking left then right I dart into Sophie's stall. She's stopped rearing but her eyes are wild with fear. Reaching slowly out I stroke her neck. After fifteen minutes she is calm. Slowly I walk in. She snorts whinneys. I see a muck bucket and use it as a mountig block. We trot bareback down the aisle. I quickly think over what I'm doing. Swiftly I pull money out of my jean pocket, about 30 bucks, and leave it in the stall. There. Now they can't accuse me of stealing.

   Once we're outside we canter putting distance between us and that stable. I aim her at a sagging fence and jump it. We continue into the woods. After a while we slow to a walk and I was never happier then I was then, plodding through the woods. If only I had a place to call home.

   Suddenly we come to a small clearing. A river ran through it and the crisp white snow was blocked by a canopy of huge trees. I fell asleep quickly after unslinging my bag and using it as a pillow. When I woke Sophie was standing over me, neighing urgently. Staring around blearily I struggle to remember where I was.

     Suddenly a loud whoosh comes accompanied by the sound of cracking ice. The river swelled after being held back by a beaver dam farther upstream.  Soon it was over the banks, the dark water rushing by. I stumble away and trip on a rock, banging my elbow as I fell. I get up and mount Sophie from a big rock nearby. We gallop headlong into the trees. When we slow we're at the far edge of the woods, bordered by the vast miles of rolling fields.

    Walking slowly out I dismount. The place is huge! With the last of March winding down the snow was melting I realize that must have caused the flood. If Sophie hadn't wakened me I might have.....died. The truth hits me like a hammer. On the treeline farther down I see a cat sunning itself in the suns rays. I decide I like this place and to stay.