Chapter 3

-I know I said that last chapter would be better but it wasn't. But this is where the whole plot comes in. Those chapters were just fillers, getting people to where they should be. So please keep reading, Please.--Oh yeah wanted to dedicate this chapter to a really good book called Dark Sunshine by Terri Farely-

     Walking along the treeline Sophie and I come across so many things. The grass was brownish and still scarce from winter. Sophie went over to graze while I inspected the whole place. First I walked down the field toward the cat. I sat down. The cat eyed me warily. I reached my hand out, slowly. The cat backed away. I stayed still and soon the cat permitted me to stay near it.

    I sat up and walked, the cat following me at a distance. Next I came across a blackberry bush. I smiled, I loved blackberries. I wandered in toward the woods a bit, and soon I came upon a pile of rocks. I shifted one aside and found the pile was supported by lager rocks. Still it was too small for me to use as shelter. Sophie had come up to join us. Soon I saw two trees close together. Under them was gnarled roots. I climbed up my wiry shape easily finding its way up the trees. Soon I was at the last branch that would support my weight. I stood up and watched the view.

    It was amazing. The afternoon sun warmed the ground. A few squirrels darted up the tree beside me. They jumped from tree to tree. I climbed down. I stopped on some branches close to the ground. They were thick and crossed like an X. I sat down. The boughs were solid and hardly wobbled. I leaned my head against the trunk, and sat Sophie grazed next to me and the cat climbed above me. I drank a few sips of water.

I don't remember dozing off but I must have. When I woke it was almost sunset. The horizon stretched above me. I jumped to the ground, wincing at the jarring impact. I walked back to the meadow, and was amazed. A few mustangs grazed before me. I backed up not wanting to disturb the peaceful scene.

    Sudenly a horse ran out. It was gaunt and starving with a dull coat. It galloped past, and a horn honked. Startling the mustangs they ran after the starving horse. They ran straight into a disguised  trailer. The stallion, a tall bay, whirled around, but two men slammed the doors shut. They were tall and wore old fashioned cowboy hats with dark blue jeans. They both had a brown head of hair. They must have been related.

     They laughed as the stallion trumpeted a warning and slammed the door. It wavered but held firm. "Shoot oughta get a nice price fer some big ones like that" said one. He spat on the ground. " Sure will' agreed the other. They had southern accents. "Yupp those range rats will be flyin' with the angels real soon" the first one drawled

    I had been completely mystified before but now I realized the truth of it all. Those men were going to be selling mustangs to  a slaughter house. I felt angry, what they were doing HAD to be illegal. But there was no one around here to stop them.

                                                          Except me.