Chapter 5

-I think the story is finally coming along right. Let me know if you agree of disagree. Can you please comment or whatever?-

 I rummaged through my back pack and finally came up with a pair of safety scissors. I sighed, they weren't very sharp but they'd have to do. Next I cut off that stretchy bit on your back pack used for carrying water bottles. It was kind of like a grid. I climbed down and busied myself in finding a small forked branch. It took me forever but I finnaly found one. I slid the stretchy pocket on and voila.

The perfect slingshot.

After that I grabbed some smallish sharp stones and brought them up the tree. They fit perfectly into a little fork in the tree.

Little did I know how soon I would have to use it.

-----------------------------(Few days pass, Now April fools day)

I woke up hungry.  It was my birthday and besides Sophie and the cat I was all alone. I didn't care, my present was that I found some edible plants near my tree. The men never showed up and I felt silly for making a slingshot. I'd just taken some plants I gathered to the tree and climbed up when I heard a twig snap.

Then another.

Then some cussing. I hurried up the rest of the tree, terrified. Sophie neighed. I grabbed the slingshot, loaded it and took aim.

"Now I know that little brats up this tree. I followed her up yesterday" said one.

"You're gonna pay us for our horses now!" shouted the other

"Make me" I challenged. I took aim and shot it. It went true straight into his gut. He doubled over, yelling. The other climbed the tree. Sophie ran in and neighed a challenge loudly. The man fell from the tree startled. Sophie reared majestically. I shot another rock at the men.

"You little brat and your nag of a horse or gonna pay!" one of them shouted

"Come on Jake she ain't worth it," reasoned the other

"You may think so Luke but I'm sufferin from rock in the gut thanks to the little snot" argued the one called Jake

I pinged him in the head for good measure. He started climbing not stopping once for the hail of rocks thrown by me. I started feeling panicky, why oh why had I taunted him?? Common sense took over, I was lighter and could therefore climb higher. I scampered up the tree just as he reached my branches. He stopped panting with exhaustion.

"I can keep you up there long as I like" he said leaning against the trunk. The branch bobbed up and down as he moved.

He could and I knew it. A memory flashed into my mind of a squirrel jumping from tree to tree. If they could do it so could I I thought wildly. I went to the end of the branch, jumped............ and fell just short with my fingers grasping the bark. I bumped against the branches as I fell, which slowed my fall to survivable. Still when I landed belly up the air was driven out of me.

 I could hear their laughter echoing as the world spun above me. I felt a pair of calloused hands grabbing my shoulder. Mustering all of my strength and some I didn't have, I fought. I kicked wildly insanely and my hand struck his jaw. I was dropped with a thud. I was up instantly and took a wild lunge scratching the man, Luke across the arm.

His brother or whatever arrived to help him. I knew I couldn't keep this up. I was already tiring. With the little strength I had I called weakly

"Sophie,"

She immediately charged into the fray, knocking aside Luke and biting Jake savagely. I mounted her and together we flew, far from the men. When we slowed I had no idea where I was. I doubled back and led Sophie back the way I came. Almost immediately  we met a thing I dreaded,

A snake.

Several things happened at once; I yelled, Sophie bolted, and the snake lunged. I just missed the bite and ran past it to the direction Sophie went. After a while of running I caught up to her grazing by the tree. I laughed aloud, who would have thought that was how my day would go? I climbed up the tree and fell fast asleep.

-----------------------

The next day I woke up sore from head to toe. I had too many scratches scrapes and bruises to be counted. On top of that I was aching from the desperate run and the fight. I thought back on the day. I sat up, but was forced down by nausea. I sat there most of the day, feeling thankful I had nothing  broken or seriously injured and more thankful I wasn't in my hated room.

Those stupid men, if you can call them that, wouldn't give up this easily. I knew, sooner or later they'd be back, and I needed a plan