Chapter Three - The Re-Introduction

Adrienne's POV

(Three years later)

"Come on, Adrienne. You know you want to get with me." Damien Johnson stated smugly, leaning on the white walls which stood next to my locker. Placing my Calculus textbook in my bag, I laughed dryly, shaking my head.

"And now who told you that?" 

"It's pretty obvious you like me." He replied, wrapping an arm around my shoulder as I stood there, clearly irritated. As the senior class president and captain of the boy's track team, Damien believed every girl at South Shore High was in love with his slender physique and popularity. Yet, I was not phased. 

I rolled my eyes at Damien's incompetence. 

"Damien, I only like you as a friend," I admitted, shutting my locker. "That is all and will ever will be."

Damien frowned a bit, clearly sadden. But I didn't acknowledge it. That was when my friends Pooh Adams, Gevon Smith, Savannah Johnson and Leah Michaels walked up to me.

"Aye, Adri." Pooh said to me. Taking one glance at Damien, back at me, then at Damien's arm on my shoulder, Pooh arched an eyebrow. "What's Mr. Prez doing here?"

Not wanting to give any ideas, I quickly brushed off Damien's arm from my should to assure them nothing was going on. "Don't worry. He was just about to leave."

Damien, finally catching the memo, stood upright and sighed. "I'll see you later, Adrienne."

"Why was my older brother talking to you?" Vannah inquired. "And why was his arm chilling around your arm? Is there anything you need to tell us because-" 

 "Vannah, chill! You know I would never date him. Girl code!" I interrupted. 

"I know, but-"

Before she could finish her sentence, Pooh had interupted her just again. "We could spend all period talking about brothers and relationships, or we can head for lunch!"

With Pooh leading the way, we sauntered to the lunchroom and took our usual seats in the right corner of the room. As we stood, Leah whispered, loud enough for only us to hear.

"Here comes the OMG Crew." She said, pointing towards their direction. Turning to where she pointed, I saw them walking towards our direction, the crowd of people in the cafeteria parting for them like the Red Sea. 

Once the crew was in a hearing distance, I sneered to my friends. "More like the HOE Crew."

We began to laugh in unison, catching the attention of the leader of OMG, Bahja Rodriguez. She looked at me in disgust, crossing her arms. "What did you just say?" 

"Did I stutter?" I questioned while I stood to face Bahja.

The OMG Crew believed they were larger than life at South Shore just because their parents were rich and they had a record deal with Interscope Records. Unfortunately, everyone at the school also believed this fallacy. It was fascinating just what money could do.

"You better watch your mouth, Adrienne."

"And what if I don't?" I challenged. Bahja then pushed my chest, causing me to stumble a bit. Though I was caught off guard, I regained my stance a few seconds. 

"Don't start shit!" Leah exclaimed from behind me. I could feel my friends getting up from their seats as a way to show defense. 

"Your friends can't do a thing." Zonnique Pullins, one of Bahja's friends, pointed out.

"But my fists can!" Leah angrily exclaimed, moving closer to Zonnique. 

"Hey, hey, hey! Knock it off!" A lunch aid said when she saw what was about to go down. "This is a lunch period, not a fighting arena. Sit down and eat your food or else I will suspend each and every one of you girls."

"This is not over, Adrienne. Come on, girls." Bahja said to her little posse, glaring at me before ambling away.

***

"Thanks for walking me home!" I told my friends as I waved them goodbye.

"It was nothing! I'm just mad you can't come to my house!" Gevon replied sadly.

"I'm sorry! It's just that people are coming over for dinner tonight." I said with the exact ounce of sadness in my fault. The sad part about it, was that I didn't even know who was coming over. I was seventeen years old and still didn't know what was going on in my own house.

"Well, we'll see you tomorrow." Vannah said. I flashed them a smile before entering my house.

"Mom, I'm home!"

I walked into the kitchen and found my mom preparing food at the stove while my dad sat at the table reading the newspaper.

"Hey, sweetie!" My dad said. I pecked him on the cheek and went over to my mom to do the same.

"How was school?" My mom questioned.

"It was okay." I answered. "Mom, when are the guests coming for dinner?"

"Around seven o'clock," She asked, still keeping her eyes on what she was cooking. "This is a very special dinner. Be fancy."

"Why?" I questioned.

"It's a surprise! They'll be here soon! Go change!"