Chapter 24 - Doubled Delusion

24.

Doubled Delusion

Reyna walked away from Mundus. She had to get away from him: his face, his eyes, his presence, his physique. Especially his physique. Reyna needed room to breathe. She could feel his eyes on her as she made her way to her dresser and opened the middle drawer.

"Reyna," Mundus said. He was behind her.

She didn't turn around, digging for her pajamas. Choosing between the blue ones or the orange ones was a very tough decision.

His clawed hand came into view. He grabbed her wrist and turned her around to face him.

"Reyna," he repeated. "I returned because of you."

She shook her head, signaling her confusion but mostly because she didn't want to hear what he was going to say.

His other hand caressed her cheek. "Do not falter in remembering that."

"Mundus, please. I already said..." She couldn't finish her sentence.

His hands released her. "Of course."

His warmth evaporated from her skin. Reyna looked up at him. Why was she in such a hurry to leave her room anyway? It's not like she had anywhere else to go. It was either hide in someone else's room or go downstairs and face Dante and the others.

Dante.

"I'm going to get my clothes and go downstairs with everybody else. Are you going to stay here?" she asked him.

His face betrayed his disappointment. "I do not desire to descend among them. Shall you remain there for the duration of the day?"

The floor caught her eyes. "Yes."

Mundus' hands were on her cheeks again. He pulled her up to him and kissed her. Reyna forgot where she was for a moment, the familiarity of his lips drawing her entire focus. Her hands went up to touch his. She removed them and pulled away. Her movements were slow. Each inch that furthered her away from him gave view to his hurt expression.

His smile was sad. "Such does not surprise me."

Reyna looked at him. "What are you doing? Why are you staying here? It's not like you to be so calm."

Mundus sighed. "I have already answered such inquiries, Reyna. I am here because of you."

~*~*~

The couch wasn't that uncomfortable, but Reyna still couldn't believe how Verden had tolerated sleeping on it for a month. She also couldn't believe how easily Verden had allowed Mundus to stay. She had expected him to put up more of a fight, to even force his brother out the door, but he just gave in.

Reyna sighed. She had blurted out they were brothers in front of Mundus. That was something she should have left for Verden to say, should he choose to do so. It wasn't like he was proud of his family.

She bit her lip only to draw her lips together. She was starting to pick up that habit again.

"I believe it to be...sexy." Mundus' voice entered her mind.

Reyna rolled her eyes at the memory, but there was a smile on her lips. Back when he was still in her body, he had seen her bite her lip when she was talking to him through a mirror. Mundus had called her nervous tick sexy.

She sighed again and turned to lie on her side, reminding herself she could have been sharing a bed with Anna and Diorela or Jean, but no. She had to let her pride get in the way and turn down their offers.