Chapter 16 - Division of Power

16.

Division of Power

Erian's glare was colder than usual.

It wasn't because of the overabundance of Blethinette's soldiers. They had arrived a few days ago and immediately set camp outside the fortress walls. Though only a select Uppers were allowed in the building as messengers and maintenance, the army's presence was a bustling, noisy force. The outside horde spread for miles and laid in wait for further instructions from the two Superior demons within. Their snarls, hisses, screams, snorts, and scuttling penetrated through the walls, but that wasn't the cause of Erian's irritation.

"You're supposed to be setting up the new seal around us," Cerus repeated his words from a few seconds ago.

He had been standing in the room for a few minutes, waiting for the Seer to show any signs of acknowledgement to his words. The room had once been Dante's but most of the furniture had been cleaned out and except for the bed and a single dresser.

"Erian?" Cerus tried again.

He continued to give his back to him, sights on the back wall.

He sighed. "Is it Azul?"

Erian half turned his head to the Shape Shifter.

"Why can't you just let her be?" Cerus said with a pleading face.

"No," he snapped and fully turned to face him.

"Is she here?"

"No, she is—"

The room door opened and the Spirit in question walked in. Her footsteps were quiet and her sway was smooth.

"Erian," she said as she came up to him.

His stern eyes softened but there was still a glare present. "Where have you been?"

"It is not the same structure, but I discovered some familiarity in certain objects."

"That does not answer my question."

"Mundus will arrive here soon?"

Fury and a tinge of jealousy zapped through him, but Erian managed to speak. "I have heard no word of his coming."

She briefly eyed him and turned away to walk to Cerus standing by the entrance. Erian crossed his arms and watched her petite figure cross the glassy hardwood floor. The cobalt braid wrapped around her torso was neat and tight, as always, and her flowing skirt folded and clung to her pacing limbs. He sighed. It was heartfelt and heavy, but neither Cerus nor Azul heard it.

"Cerus," she addressed him. "There is familiarity within you as well."

His eyes widened and he shot a questioning stare at Erian.

He met his gaze with similar inquiry.

"Azul," Erian spoke.

"Yes, Erian?" she answered but didn't face him.

He hesitated before speaking, not expecting her to actually listen to him. "Azul, why do you not return to the weapon? You may rest there."

She shook her head, eyes still on Cerus. "I am well. I do not need to be in there to rest."

"Azul," Cerus finally spoke, "are you okay? Maybe you should return and stop all this wandering."

She smiled.

He returned the gesture though it held a tint of sadness.

"As I said, I am well," she spoke. "I feel as if there is a haze I must escape."