Chapter nineteen

I dress into some old basketball shorts and a sports bra with a sports shirt overtop. Zach is dressed in a pair of black sweat pants and a white tank and Reece is dressed in a pair of red basketball shorts and he's shirtless.

"Are you ready to get started?" Reece asks me.

I nod and he tells me to start with the treadmill while he jogs along beside me. Zach decides to lift some weights as he watches us.

"So Zach, any girls I should know about?" I laugh after a few minutes of jogging in silence.

He stumbles as he goes to lift again and my jaw drops. "There is!"

"Don't laugh at her or else you'll be asked next," Zach warns him.

I look over at Reece expectantly even though my stomach churns at the thought of him being interested in someone else. He raises an eyebrow at me, "Oh yeah, Cupcake, I'm definitely thinking of asking Rebecca out."

    I roll my eyes. "Yeah and I want to ask Zach out."

    "What!?" Zach cries in shock.

    Reece gives me a deadpan look and I smile innocently. "What? I thought we were stating things that are never going to happen."

    Reece laughs. "What if I actually did want to ask her out?"

    "Please," I scoff. "She annoys you almost as much as she annoys me."

"Anyway Zach, you never answered my question," I continue, turning away from Reece to keep him from distracting me.

He sighs, "There was this one girl but it's over now."

"What? Why?"

He grumbles something that I can't hear and I lean forward on the treadmill, "What was that?"

He groans loudly, "she was using me to make her ex jealous."

My jaw clenches and my eyes narrow into slits, "what's her name? I'm going to kick her ass."

"Quinn, it's fine," Zach rolls his eyes.

"It's not fine! No one uses my best friend and gets away with it," I huff.

Reece nudges me to get off the treadmill and I do as he says before grabbing some weights.

"Let it go," Zach states seriously.

I stare at him a moment, trying to decide if I should really let it go or not, and based on his expression I probably should.

"Fine," I sigh exaggeratingly. "If I must."

Zach asks Reece a bunch of questions about training me and the tension between us slowly dissipates. Zach tells me he has to leave when Reece does.

"I have to get back to work, Quinn," he tells me sadly.

"I know," I mumble. "I just wish you could stay longer."

"So do I."

"I'll call you," I say as he gets into his car.

"You better," he gives me a stern look. "Don't wait weeks in between calling me."

"I promise."

"Love you, kiddo."

"Love you too, old man."

***

The next morning I wake up to Luke pounding his fists on the door telling me to get up for school. It seems as if I had slept through my alarm again. I roll out of bed and walk into the bathroom sleepily.