Chapter nine

"I'm returning this," I smile, handing the book over to the librarian.

    "I'll just need your library card."

    Handing her the card, I wait as she scans it and types a few things into her computer.

    "All done. Feel free to browse around."

    "Thank you," I reply, pushing away from the desk.

    Making my way up to the same section I was in last week, I breathe in the familiar scent of old paper and ink. Something about it relaxes me in a way that nothing else can. Being surrounded by books like this reminds me of my mother, it reminds me of how we shared our love of reading and bonded over it. It was something between just the two of us, Luke and dad could never sit still long enough to read a book, and it's one of the things I miss the most about her.

    Half expecting to see Reece brooding in the aisle, I'm startled at the presence of a different boy taking up the space.

    "Kayden," I exclaim in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

    "I could ask you the same question," he chuckles and points to the shelf behind him, the same shelf Reece was browsing last week, "I'm just checking out some books."

    "I didn't know you liked to read."

    "I love it. I just don't have as much time as I'd like to. Homework and soccer practice pretty much demands all of my attention," he shrugs.

    "Oh," I nod in understanding.

    An awkward silence ensues and I begin to fidget with the bottom of my shirt. Kayden and I haven't gotten as close as the rest of the group has. Even though we're all part of the same group, Kayden doesn't express himself as much as the others. In fact, he seems almost shy around me most of the time. Jordan has told me that it's because he has a crush on me, but I've deemed that unlikely.

    "So I have a game coming up soon and I was wondering if you wanted to come," he begins, running a hand through his dirty blonde hair nervously. "The whole group goes so you wouldn't be by yourself."

    I sigh in relief that the awkward moment is over and nod. "Sure, I'll be there."

    "Great! I'm sure you could catch a ride with Julia if you want to. I'd offer to drive you but I have to be there early for pregame."

    "Don't worry about it. I'm sure Luke or Julia wouldn't mind."

    Not really in the mood to go through any more awkward silences with Kayden, I decide to leave without checking out another book.

    "I'm actually going to head home. It's getting late."

    "You didn't get a book though."

    I shrug, "I have a ton at home I have to read anyway."

    He takes a step forward eagerly, "Do you need a ride?"

    "I'm okay. Luke is actually waiting outside for me," I lie.

    I had walked to the library like last time and Luke was out with Caleb playing basket-ball. Kayden seems too eager to drive me home and I don't want to suffer through any more awkwardness than I already am.

    "I'll see you tomorrow at school then," he says, backing away.

    "Sure," I nod, shuffling out of the aisle.

***

    I grin at the announcement of basketball in gym class on Thursday. Luke isn't the only one good at the game. We both play well at the sport whereas Luke joined the team and I didn't. Certain circumstances kept me from joining the girl's team in my freshman year and after I started boxing it seemed like a better idea to continue that rather than join the team.