Million Dollar Baby (Chapter 12)

*Chapter 12*

"Noelle," I gently shook her tiny shoulders and I tried to wake her up. "Wake up." She scrunched up her face and burrowed deeper into her covers, lips opening into an small 'o'.

I chuckled and shook her again. This time she opened her eyes with a frown on her face. I picked her up and carried her down the stairs while she rested her head on my shoulder. I had  lot of things to do today and the first thing I was starting with was straightening up the place, after breakfast. My mom was such a lazy slob, I thought as I looked at one of her many pairs of heels lying in the hallway.

I set Noelled down at the table in her booster seat. She refused to sit in her high chair, though I don't know why. I strapped the little belt across her lap and went to make her breakfast.

After she had finished eating, I took her up to get in the tub and get dressed. After that, she occupied herself watching some kiddie movie on Netflix while I straightened the house up a little bit. Just as I was about to finish with vacuuming the floor, the phone rang.

I jogged to pick it up. "Hello?"

"Hey, sweetie. Just calling to see if you got in all right?"

I held back the sarcastic comment about me answering the phone if I didn't. "Of course, mom." I said evenly. I was still a little peeved that she couldn't find one of her friends to house sit. I mean who even house sit anymore anyway? Just lock up really good and everything should be fine.

But then I had my suspicions that maybe she just wanted to find a reason for me to come back home. Knowing my mom, I wouldn't put it passed her.

"Good, good. How's everything so far?"

"Just cleaning up a bit. Your a real slob, you know?" I chuckled. "I don't know how Richard puts up with it."

"Oh, he doesn't," I could picture her smirking right now. "But he knows better than to say anything 'cause I wear the pants around here."

"M'kay. Not even gonna ask. But, I gotta go. I have some other things to get done too."

"Okay. Bye. I love you," she said. "Now let me speak to, Noelle."

"Love you too," I muttered and went to hand the phone to Noelle. 

As I walked away I could hear her starting to tell my mom about some baby nonsense and had to smile at the dramatic way she swung her little hands around. Like she was actually having a conversation with one of her friends. Actually, I could hardly understand half of the things she was saying but I could picture my mom just saying "mmhmm" to everything.

I finsihed the floor just as Noelle got off the phone. I got her a snack and left her in the livingroom with instructions not to move off the couch while I went to take a shower. When I was finished I got dressed and soon we were out the door to go food shopping.

I wanted to go to the food mart out of town but thought that was a little drastic. I can't let Tanner influence everything I do. What are the odds that he would be at the supermarket anyway?

I pulled into the parking lot and found a spot right neat the entrance. Now I can get in and get out. I grabbed a cart on the way in and quickly put Noelle in the front. I was there for about ten minutes and was standing in the cereal aisle with Noelle trying to grab every type to put in the cart, when I saw a flash of dar hair walk passed the isle. Now it was practically dead in here seeing as it was a Monday morning and people were at work or school. So I was a little curious as to who it was.

I turned my head expecting to see some random person standing in the aisle but imagine my surprise when I came face to face with my best friend.

"Jaimie?" I stuttered. She hadn't said anything just stood there watching me with narrowed eyes. I couldn't tell how she felt exactly, but from the way she was looking at me, I don't think she was too happy to see me. I started  to say something else when it started to get awkward but was cut off by a smaller voice.

"Mommy?" The sound seemed seemed to break Jaimie out of whatever trance she was in and her snapped down to see Noelle staring at us with her curious blue eyes.

"What...?" Jaimie seemed shocked speechless. The something seemed to click in her brain because then she gasped. "Oh my gosh. Is this...?"

I knew was she was seeing. She was seeing Tanner. Noelle looked just like him. I closed my eyes and prepared myself for the tongue lashing I knew I was about to get.

"Yes," I sighed. "Her name is Noelle." 

Noelle grinned upon hearing her name and I could see Jaimie getting attached to her.

"She is adorable. And she looks just like him." I nodded even though she wasn't looking at me. She seemed riveted by the two year old staring up at her. "Can I hold her?"

"Sure, if she lets you." Jaimie reached her hands down to Noelle to lifted up her arms eagerly. I was surprised that she still hand't cussed me out yet. I spoke too soon though because as if on cue, Jaimie turned to me, with Noelle on her hip.

"You and I will definitely have words after this." I slowly nodded. I guess she didn't want to say anything in front of Nolle who was soaking everything up like a sponge. As I watched them, I was slowly coming out of the shock of seeing my best friend again.

Just when I thought I could relax again, another familiar voice sounded from behind me. "There you are!" He called.

My back went rigid as his footsteps descended on us. "Well, who is this cutie?" The boy walked passed me and smiled at Noelle. She seemed to be loving all the attention bestowed upon her. I, on the other hand, was about two minutes way from having a heart attack.

The boy turned around and seemed as if he was rooted to the floor when he saw me. "Jourden?" He seemed unsure, as if my standing in front of him was a product of his imagination. When I spoke back though, it seemed to shatter any illusions of his.

"Hello, Todd." I said wearily. Now Tanner will know about Noelle for sure.

"What are you-? I mean I can't believe you're here?" He smiled at me, shocking me. I was sure that he would hate me despite Jaimie's words so long ago. Todd was like my older brother but I wasn't sure tht if he knew about Noelle, he would keep my secret. After all he and Tanner were best friends.

"Yeah, I'm back." He suddenly moved towards me and pulled me into a bear hug.

"I'm glad." His eye sparkled and then dimmed some. He tilted his head at me and then looked quickly at Noelle. "It seems we have a lot to catch up on."

My heart squeezed in my chest. Here we go...

****************************************************************************

Okay, so sorry for taking so long to upload but I had writer's block/ just being lazy. Not even gonna lie, lol. But thanks for being such awesome fans to me.

And because you are so awesome, I've already started writing the second one, which should be up soon. Maybe later today or tomorrow. Who knows.

 But the next chapter is The Explanation. Souds ominous doesn't it?? Lol :D