Chapter 53

Nick's POV

I sit up slowly and look at the clock it was two in the morning I look at Mal who is sitting up too "What's wrong is the baby okay?" She grabs my arm and squeezes it "It's time the baby is coming now!!" It was an early February morning there was more snow on the ground and a sheet of ice we wouldn't make it to the hospital but maybe an ambulance could make it out here. I get out of bed then go to Howie and Stacey's room and turn on the light they both wake up and look at me "Nick what are you doing?" "The baby is coming now." Stacey gets out of bed followed by Howie I walk out of the room and go to Kevin and Vanessa's room and get them up as well when I walk out of their room Howie lets me know that he's called an ambulance I nod then go back into mine and Mallory's room. I walk in and go over to the bed Mallory lets out a scream of pain I'm never going to forget she's having a contraction I was going to deliver my baby girl in the bed I shared with her mother I have Vanessa open a window because Mal is sweating and her long hair is starting to clump together her labor is a long one and it last for hours then it's time for Mallory to push. "Last time Mal come on I can see her head." She pushes and just as the sun rises my baby girl is born Stacey and Vanessa clean her up and wrap her in a pink blanket. Vanessa places her in my arms and her crying stops then her eyes open and I see bright blue eyes like mine.

 Vanessa places her in my arms and her crying stops then her eyes open and I see bright blue eyes like mine

Mallory's POV

The sheets on the bed had been changed a little after the baby was born and everyone had been nice enough to give Nick and I alone time with her before the paramedics showed up. Nick walks over and sits down next to me and I look down at our baby girl then I hold her for the first time Nick looks at me "She's beautiful." "She's perfect Nick what do you think we should name her?" Nick looks over at the window "She was born during the sunrise how do you feel about the name Aurora?" I think about it and test it out then put it with the middle name I came up with "Aurora Nicole Carter what do you think?" Nick smiles and kisses my head "I love her name and I love both of you." The paramedics show up a little later to check the two of us out then we are taken to the hospital.

Group POV

Two days later Mallory, Nick and Aurora are ready to come home from the hospital we clear the snow and ice away from the porch so they will be able to get in the house without falling or slipping. We also get the nursery ready and open a few of the things they would need right away Stacey had baked a cake for them that said Welcome Home Aurora in bright pink letters and we also had pink balloons tied to the chairs and doorknobs and we wait on Mallory and Nick to come home with the baby.

Group POV

Nick and Mallory come home with Aurora and we all take turns fussing over and holding her it was clear her favorite was definitely Nick she was a daddy's girl but Kevin was her second favorite. While Vanessa, Kevin and Howie take turns holding her they all start picturing more babies on the ranch a little boy for Kevin and Vanessa Howie didn't really have a preference he just wanted to have his own happy healthy baby.

Nick's POV

A week after we bring Aurora home from the hospital Mallory goes out with Stacey, Vanessa and Leighanne leaving me, Kevin, Howie and Brian to watch Aurora four grown men we can handle a baby. She wakes up crying I walk in the nursery and go to her crib "It's okay baby daddy is here." She looks up at me with her blue eyes and I start to try and change her diaper I try it different ways until ten minutes later I finally figure it out then I take her downstairs. I go to the living room and go to pass her to Brian and she starts he crying he backs away then I hand her to Kevin and she stops crying he holds her until his arms get tired then he hands her back to me then she starts squirming and sucking on my shirt "She's hungry my nipples are of no use to her." Howie walks in the kitchen then comes back with a bottle he tries it then hands it to me and I look at him "That's Mal's breast milk." He spits it out and I take a deep breath we couldn't handle taking care of my baby girl and I hoped Mal got back soon.