~Eleven~

I woke up early in the morning, earlier than I should've getting only about three hours of sleep, and got ready for my long day ahead. I crawled out of bed and got myself dressed in my uniform. I left my room and went straight into the kitchen to get some breakfast to hopefully wake me up.

I paid no attention to Levi's sleeping area nor did I the dining table, I just went immediately into the kitchen as if my body was moving itself; almost feeling like I was on autopilot. I grabbed some cereal and put it in a bowl.

"You're up early." A voice startled me and jumped slightly, nearly dropping the bowl onto the counter. I quickly turned my head and saw Levi, still sitting at the table and wearing yesterday's clothing. He had two dark circles under his eyes that have gotten darker. Had he stayed up all night?

"What are you doing up?" I asked him while letting my heart settle down.

"Couldn't sleep. Why are you up?"

"I just woke up." I brought my bowl over to the miniature table and began to eat my light breakfast. "Why couldn't you sleep?"

"Just couldn't." He shrugged off my question like a routine response. From what I know, he isn't going to tell me no matter how many times I ask. I sighed and finished eating my breakfast, sneaking into my room to be by myself for a few moments. I yawned, not feeling prepared for the most boring career decision of my life.

I understand that we're still investigating everything that happened back then, and I do want my answers, but do I really have to go through all of this? The longest and most uneventful week of all? I sighed in frustration, annoyed by the fact that I still had to do my job with pride. I wasn't doing anything at all anyways at Exosin, just standing their more or less.

After a few hours, we silently left the apartment complex and drove to our temporary job. There wasn't much to say about it, nothing was happening. We stood, checked who was entering, and either let them in it turned them away.

Just as I was about ready to give up, Levi's phone began to ring. He glanced at the numbers and a confused expression crossed his face. He dismissed himself and headed to the back of Mr. Melsburg's office, answering the phone on his way. He was just within earshot, so I was able to listen in on part of the conversation.

"Hello?" Levi asked as he responded to the phone. "Yes, this is Captain Ackerman. What? You can't be serious? What do you mean they're linked?" He continued his conversation in a hushed tone, kicking me out of his conversation.

What was he talking about anyway? What was linked? I needed to know the answers! He hung up after speaking for a few more moments and headed past me, leaving me in front of Nathan's office. He signaled the other security guard on the floor to come over. Levi the proceeded to whisper something in his ear, getting a nod in response.

"(L/n)," he called to me, "let's go. We got something, and you're not going to like it." There was something different about his eyes. They weren't as strong and stoic as before, they looked more fragile and damaged, like he heard something he dreaded to hear. I quickly fell in line behind him as we dashed out of the building and into Levi's car.

He turned on his sirens and drove quickly through the city, surprisingly swift with all of the traffic around. He pulled up to an area in Central Park before he parked the truck and got out, signaling for me to follow. I hopped out the car, double checking that my gun was strapped to my belt.

The sky was a light grey as a small storm brewed into the state. Everything else looked dull compared to their usual bright and vivid colors. A thin layer of fog slid through the park, blurring our vision slightly. Everything felt dismal around here. I firmly kept my hand on my 9mm just in case something happened.