8. You Snap at Him and He Doesn't Take it Well

But don’t let it get to you, Hun. The people that care will always come around.
-Valen Luyang

NOTE: This is more of a friendship preference than a boyfriend-girlfriend preference.

COLE

“You’re so conceited!”

You yelled it at him without even thinking. But you weren’t completely unfounded, he’d been so selfish lately and you couldn’t stand it.

He turned and looked at you, “What did you just say to me!”

“I said that you’re conceited!” You surprised yourself with your nerve.

His nostrils flared from the anger as he balled up his fists, “It doesn’t matter what you have to say about me! I don’t need a ‘friend’ like you anyway!”

DALTON

“You’re so antisocial,” you shoot at Dalton when he tells you he doesn’t really want to go to the fair this weekend.

He looks at you, more hurt than angry, not saying a word. His voice is low, barely even a whisper, “How can you just say that?”

You feel the blood draining from your face.

“I’m not antisocial. Is it such a crime to want to just stay in and spend some time alone with my friend?”

You don’t reply.

He gets up, “Forget it. I can see I’m not wanted here,” and leaves.

DANA

“You’re such a flirt!”

There were tears in your eyes as you had watched from the side, seeing Dana flirting with almost every girl that wasn’t you. And now you were standing in front of him with your fists clenched at your sides.

He looked at you and scoffed, obviously trying to hide his anger. “I don’t care what you think about it! You’re not even my girlfriend!”

And the fact that it’s true, makes it hurt just that much more as he brushes past you and doesn’t look back.

GABE

“You’re so cold.”

He stops walking, dead in his tracks and turns to look at you, his face dark. “I’m not cold, I’m just not very outgoing.” He turns back around and begins walking away from you, ignoring your shouted apologies and pleas for him to wait for you.

“Gabe! Wait, I didn’t mean it! Wait!”

He ignores you and keeps walking, his head down. You didn’t even think that your words could hurt him so. Because you didn’t think at all.

WILL

“You’re so awkward.”

“You say that like it’s a bad thing.”

“Well, it is!” you snap.

He looks up at you, hurt like you’d never seen him before. “I thought you were my friend.”

“Well, I am, but ugh, you just don’t know how to socialize!”

He stands up, almost yelling, “Well, then I guess you don’t want to be around me if I ‘don’t know how to socialize’!”

You glare at him and he glares right back. He stomps past you and slams your door on his way out.