The "Princess" and the Delicate Rose

Recap: Hikari, Sora, and company's adventure most recently brought them to Halloween Town, where Hikari encountered her past: Orochimaru, the man who had taught her most jutsu she knew, left her for dead, and whom she had loved like a father. Orochimaru revealed to Hikari the reason why the Akatsuki wanted to capture her: she is a Princess of Heart, one of nine maidens with a heart of pure light. Determined to end the influence of her former master, Hikari tries to defeat him with the power of the curse mark, only to find that its taint sickened her to the point of incapacity. Embarrassed and betrayed by her body, she breaks down and leaves the encounter with a wounded shoulder.

Sasuke also came to Halloween Town, shortly followed by Krystal and Sai. Sasuke sought Orochimaru for a way to gain power and Krystal attempted to sway him by confessing her feelings for him, but he spurned her advances and left her behind for a second time, breaking her heart.

Both kunoichi were brought back to Traverse Town to recover, but Hikari's injury left her virtually defenseless. At her request, the Keybearer and the rest of the gang would continue the mission without her temporarily.

Chapter Forty-Seven: The "Princess" and the Delicate Rose

A tan hand wrapped in a fingerless white glove clasped another fair, slender one. The hands squeezed each other and shook, Brave Warrior and Inferno Band shifting on their wrists respectively.

Sora and Hikari smiled at each other, their faces set forth in a pool of green magic on a table in the center of Villain's Vale. The Keybearer said something teasingly which made the Princess blush and bring her hand to the back of her neck; her other arm was in a sling. Her lips read something along the lines of "I'm not sad-I could use a break from you guys!"

The Keybearer, the Court Magician, the Royal Knight, and the animal of ambiguous origin gave her a knowing smile, and the Princess knew her ruse had failed. Embarrassed, she averted her eyes and was unprepared when Goofy and Donald suddenly hugged her. She let her free arm lay over them when she recovered.

After they released her, she turned to Red XIII and brought herself down to his level on one knee. She looked down, particularly uncertain about what to say to him, and rubbed her opposite shoulder. Then, she threw her uninjured arm around his neck.

The foursome departed then, and she watched them until they were almost at the gate. She dropped her gaze and something shiny caught her eye, so she walked forward and crouched to get a better look at it: a star-shaped, brown/orange accessory.

She picked up the accessory, noting that she had seen Goofy with it, and lifted her head to look at the gate again; he, along with the others, was already gone.

She looked at the pendant again, studied it, then inserted it into her kunai pouch. She stood and walked towards the steps in front of the Accessory Shop, where Leon stood.

Pain stood next to the table, silently staring into the pool. As he watched Hikari and Leon walk away, he lifted his hands and performed a string of seals.

Countless miles away, aboard the Jolly Roger, Riku stood in the Captain's Cabin next to the bed where Kairi lied. His arm was raised to his forehead as he leaned against the post and watched over her serene face.

Behind him, he heard static as a holographic projection formed. He separated himself from his post and turned, gazing on Pain's silhouette.

"I have a task for you," spoke the projection.

[{X♥X}]

The shore of Destiny Islands was a calming setting. I stood barefoot and alone in the sand, a gentle breeze disturbing my yellow hair. The sun kissed my face, bathing me in its warmth as the tide came in and brushed my ankles. Seagulls flew overhead.