Just Like Alice

Recappy From the Last Chappy: "And so we shall!" Radcliffe emerged from his tent flamboyantly. As he addressed the men, he spoke with charismatic gestures that riled up the men. "I told you those savages couldn't be trusted! Smith tried to befriend them, and look at what they've done to him! But now, I say it is time to rescue our courageous comrade. At dawn, we attack!"

The trio exchanged glances.

Chapter Thirty-three: Just Like Alice

It was nigh daybreak. Both factions had been preparing through the night for war and John Smith's execution. The hues of rage began to color the sky as they marched through the forest toward an area relatively clear of greenery. There was a moderately tall cliff, perhaps one story high, where the execution was meant to take place, and a valley not far below.

The Native Americans left their village. The white men marched from their encampment. Sora, Donald, and Goofy uneasily followed the soldiers' elongated shadows. Shikamaru and Red XIII waited in the forest near the cliff. Hane led Hikari through the forest. Pocahontas was AWOL.

"She usually visits Grandmother Willow when she's upset," Hane explained to his fellow blonde. He felled a few Heartless with shuriken and jumped on top of a fallen log. "I gave her a few moments with Johnny, and then she just ran off! Guess she said goodbye, and couldn't watch. . . ."

Hikari was frowning as she jumped up behind him. "She was supposed to stay in the village for her own safety. She's been targeted!" She watched where she jumped down. "We were going to have her try talking sense into the Chief, too. She's just-giving up on the one she loves."

"She didn't listen to the chief when he ordered her to stay away from the white men-you seriously thought she was gonna listen to you?" He openly laughed. "Speakin' o' the 'master plan,' though . . . shouldn't I be waitin' at the valley to do my part, too? It'd kinda give the wrong idea if only Shikamaru did his. . . ."

The kunoichi pouted and blushed. "I didn't think she would because I said it. But you'd think a direct threat would make someone think twice. And ideally-we find her and get back in time to continue as planned. Your flowers are set up, right?"

"Of course!" He grinned, closed his eyes, and spread his arms. Somehow, as the breeze blew through his hair, he appeared both energetic and at peace. "My chakra control was kinda whack when we were rookies-but I've really become more in touch with my spiritual chakra here, and can mold it better. You should see-I'm twice the ninja I used to be!"

"Well, I don't see how you could have gotten any worse. . . ."

"Hey!"

Abruptly, Pocahontas rushed passed them in the direction opposite of where they were trekking, a new resolve in her eyes. Exchanging glances, the blonde pair followed her quickly. Her feet pounded deliberately in the soft earth. She ignored the bend in the river and jumped across some logs within. As dawn bled into the sky, one could almost hear the expedited beating of war drums.

The Native American princess neared the cliff where her tribe was gathered. Warriors with bows and arrows stood back as Chief Powhatan hovered over John Smith at the edge. The latter was lying on his side with his hands tied behind him. The chief had in his hand a club.

In the valley below, Radcliffe and his men (as well as Sora, Donald, and Goofy) were assembled, near outrage. Some began to raise their guns, preparing to fire. Some large budded flowers were interspersed among them, appearing rather out-of-place.

She passed near Shikamaru and Red XIII, which signaled to the shinobi that it was time. While she broke through the crowd, he formed a few hand signs; most notably, the Rat. Deftly he manipulated his shadow into a single strand that stretched from him to the shadows of the Native Americans taking arms. Hane performed a string of seals that caused the buds in the valley to bloom into large, lovely gold blossoms; he and Hikari stopped near Red XIII and Shikamaru.