Chap. 1

“I’m pretty sure you’re not supposed to put it in the dryer,” I said to Marci, as I hung my jersey to dry.

“What’s the worst that could happen?” she asked.

“Oh I don’t know, you could ruin it?”

She rolled her eyes. “You’re so melodramatic.”

“These are our only jerseys,” I pointed out. “What are you going to do if you ruin it?”

“Buy one online?” she suggested, with a half-smile. “They also sell them in stores.”

I rolled my eyes, throwing a pillow at her before heading back to my room.

“Lighten up Jackson!” Marci called after me.

I ignored her, checking my phone before grabbing my arm band.

“You’re going on a run?” Marci asked me, as I came back out to the main area. “You’re making me look and feel bad here Jackson.”

I rolled my eyes, picking up my headphones off the counter. “I’ll be back within the hour. It’s your night to make dinner.”

“Okay,” she agreed, waving me off.

I tucked my apartment key into the hidden sleeve of my arm band and left, heading downstairs.

I had my usual route. It took me 45-50 minutes on a good day, but we’d just come in from training, so I wasn’t expecting one of my best times.

I loved the feeling of running when I was sore, the aching feeling in my legs as I powered through. That’s how I truly knew I was growing as a soccer player.

As I came around the corner to finish up my route, I saw his car parked outside the apartment.

I stopped short, panting for breath as I ran through the dates in my mind. He wasn’t due to be in-town this week.

I quickly headed upstairs and let myself into our apartment, my heart pounding.

Jenica was sitting at the counter, still sweaty from her training. She flashed me an all-knowing smile, and that’s how I knew he was already in the apartment.

“I made spaghetti,” Marci informed me, as she ate.

I ignored her, running back to my room and flinging open the door.

“Surprise,” Dylan announced, with a pearly white smile.

I flew into his arms, laughing as he picked me up and twirled me around before kissing me.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, my arms still firmly wrapped around his torso.

“Just passing through,” he said, with a pout. “I have to be in San Francisco tomorrow for practice.”

Before I could protest, he picked me up bridal style and laid me out across my bed.

“Mr. Graham,” I breathed, “what do you think you’re doing?”

He smirked, straddling me and bending down to give me another kiss. “Why don’t you tell me Future Mrs. Graham?”

I couldn’t help the smile that spread across my face as my eyes travelled to my engagement ring that was sitting in its case.

Dylan followed my eyes, and his smirk widened. “You should wear it more often. That cost me a pretty penny.”

“I can’t wear it during training.” I protested.

His eyes traveled back to mine, and he stared into my eyes without speaking.

“Kiss me you idiot,” I said, grabbing the collar of his shirt and pulling his lips to mine.