Fates: Chapter Forty-Eight

Margaret

I knew how to swim.

I mean I have been swimming since I was six.

For someone who grew up near the sea, there was no reason to fear the water.

But when we went deeper and deeper into the ocean, I suddenly realized that I had been holding my breath. My chest tightened as panic rose, my mind thinking that I had been doing this all wrong.

Seirra noticed that something was up and tried to grab hold of my hand but at that moment, the breath I was holding forced itself out and my panic turned to terror.

I had no idea what was happening but for some insane reason, it felt as if death's hands were wrapped around my neck which stopped me from breathing. I struggled, trying to find something to hold onto and at the same time, break free from whatever was choking me.

Soon, my movements slowed, my energy drained by struggling in the water. At that moment, I felt death.

It was then that I found myself being pulled towards someone who kept saying, "It's fine, Marge. You can fight it. There is nothing to fear, love. I'm here."

His voice penetrated through the sound of silence in my head and I realized that I was not alone.

"Seirra."

My voice sounded different to my ears-as if bells were ringing, even though I knew that I could not have said anything loud enough to merit even an echo.

"Marge."

His voice was even more beautiful than I could remember.

Slowly, I opened my eyes and warmth spread through my body. I was wrapped in Seirra's arms, and we were both trembling from my panic attack.

"I...think I'm okay now," I said, a bit louder this time.

Seirra extended his arms but held onto my shoulders. His gaze was worried as he assessed my weak smile and pale face.

After a few more seconds, he nodded and gave me a smile of his own.

"It's alright now, Erwann."

I turned to my right and saw the prince who looked as anxious as I felt.

"Are you sure you're going to be fine?" he asked me.

"I think so," I replied, making myself smile. "I mean, I don't particularly know when I'll start going crazy but when I feel normal, I'm...I guess I'm excited and-"

I gasped.

"And what, Marge?" Seirra asked, his expression changing from relieved back to worried.

My eyes still round and filled with amazement, I asked, "Are we really talking underwater?"

When neither men answered, "I mean, I can talk here and I can hear you both? Wait, what about language barrier? Do merpeople speak English?"

A hundred thoughts started swirling in my head and I found myself starting to truly accept that my life and my world has changed. My smile widened and fear started to give way to enthusiasm.

I turned this way and that, looking at our surroundings - everything was blue or green - it was like being inside one of those aquariums but a very, very large one.

I must have looked genuinely cheerful as I found Seirra and Prince Erwann smiling back.

"Aquanians speak and understand all languages," Prince Erwann declared.

I was about to protest that it was impossible so he added, "Magic."

Ahh, that explained it. Magic. How convenient.

"Does that mean I would be able to as well?" I asked. "I mean, am I Aquanian or am I something else?"

Seirra and the prince looked at each other.

"Well, now that you say it," Seirra answered. "We do not really know. I would say that you will be an Aquanian since you will be my wife but as to your magical abilities..."

He shook his head a little, obviously clueless about my questions.

"In any case, I'm sure the Oracle would know how you will be able to adapt to our world," Prince Erwann added.

Seeing as it would not help asking any more questions from them, I decided to take it one step at a time.

"I guess, I'll just have to wait until I meet your Oracle. For now, I still have to get used to the idea that I can breathe and communicate underwater."

I gave each of them a smile and tried to test my tail again. I was grinning at myself and both men noticed.

"What?"

The prince coughed to keep from answering but Seirra volunteered anyway.

"It's nothing, really."

At my questioning eyebrows, he explained, "It's just that, it's the first time we've seen anyone who just learned how to live underwater. And well, it's actually quite a wonder. I'd go so far as to say that you look cute."

I blushed at his description and all I could say was, "Uhm, thanks."

"I think the best way for you to learn is to actually use your tail to move. Practice." Prince Erwann was back to business mode. "Shall we?"

Both Seirra and I nodded that we're ready to go. I immediately took Seirra's outstretched hand and I realized that ever since I accepted my feelings for him, our actions, our time together, all seemed to be natural.

Seirra smiled at me as if he knew what I was thinking and as he pulled me closer, I found myself longing to hear his beautiful voice again.

"Hold on tight, Marge. Aquania is practically hours away."

If I get to hold onto his hand, I do not think hours would even be enough.

*****

Or maybe, hours is a little too much for a newbie like me.

"Sorry, love. We could've slowed down to give you time to get used to it, but the princess' life has to be considered," Seirra said to break our silence.

He looked tenderly at me that I could not help but think that my fatigue was not really a problem.

"I know, Seirra. I am already slowing us down with my adjustment. I wouldn't wish to keep us from saving the princess any further," I replied with a genuine smile on my face.

He raised my hand to his lips and blew a kiss on it. 

The shiver that ran down my spine was enough to freeze my movements for a few seconds. Seirra smiled knowingly and tugged.

"Marge?"

"What?" I answered, forcing myself to move until I actually did.

His grin remained that I could not help but smile myself. 

"You know, for all that's worth, I think you're very sweet," I told him with the honesty that was reflected by my blushing face.

He looked very pleased but he must have thought I would die of embarrassment if he made me elaborate because he decided to be cocky instead.

"I can be much sweeter than this but I do believe in reciprocity." He looked me straight in the eyes then said, "So far, I'm doing all the work here."

He was more handsome when his eyes were full of mischief that I almost forgot to give him the sassy reply he deserved.

"Darling, I don't see how my traveling to a faraway land - or sea - just to be with the man of my dreams can't count as extra sweet with whip cream on top," I told him with one perfectly-shaped eyebrow raised.

That caught him by surprise that all he could do was laugh.

"Wow," he said when he finally sobered. "You're back. My Marge is back."

I had no idea what exactly he was saying but I kept my sass act on as I said, "I don't even think I ever left."

Seirra was about to respond when we heard Prince Erwann's pronouncement.

"We're here. Welcome to Aquania, Margaret."