Margaret: Chapter Four

I won’t remember him? That doesn’t sound...fair. Granted, this encounter is too surreal that I probably won’t be able to share the story to others. But I’m going to end up being with him for almost a month then when he leaves, I’m going to forget all about it? Isn’t that a little unreasonable?

     “What do you mean by that? What happens to my memory if I’m going to forget you?” I asked him, confusion marking my face.

     He looked at me intently then took my hand to give me his necklace. “Once you wear this necklace that holds the Key of Saol, I’ll be able to have legs. The Key chose you to be my human companion.”

     “Why me?”

     “It is a mystery how the Key chooses a Celari companion. Mostly however, are people of the same age as we are. If you agree to hold on to it for 29 days,” he nodded towards the jewelry on my hand, “you can have one wish granted the moment I leave for Aquania,” he looked at the sea again. “With that wish, your memory of my existence is erased, leaving mere blanks in your brain.”

     “Blanks? As in I know I was with someone but I won’t remember who? Or I’d have something like a permanent memory gap?” I was beginning to feel exasperated. Then I recalled another thing. “And I’d get a wish?”

     “It’s the former. Same would happen to everyone I would encounter. The only thing you’ll all remember is a faceless guy who left after spending some time in this city.” When he looked at me, I felt the impact of his emerald eyes again. “Your wish can be anything that does not require resurrecting the dead, paranormal abilities or never-ending wealth. Those three will require a big sacrifice on your part—which will be decided by the Key.”

     “So I can wish to have a better singing voice?” At last, I found a way to secure a good singing career. I’ll finally fulfill my mother’s dreams—if this merman’s telling the truth, that is.

     “Yes. It isn’t, after all, ‘paranormal’ to have a good singing voice,” he told me with a smile.

     I played with the pendant on my hand. With what he’s explained so far, nothing bad would actually happen to me—except for a memory lapse.

     I still have doubts about wearing the necklace but if I agree to do it and he really ends up getting legs then most likely, he’s telling the truth. I glanced at him then looked at the vast expanse of water in front of me. Somewhere underneath is a kingdom that wish to live in peace—a kingdom whose existence is being threatened by a lack of power because of a missing lady.

     He touched my hands which made me look at him in surprise.

     “I really do need your help, Margaret. You can disagree and you won’t remember a thing about me. But I would lose the chance to find Marina.” He squeezed my hands. “Please. I know you realize just how important time is for me and my people.”

     I sighed. His hand which holds mine probably had something to do with it, but I made my decision.

     “Okay. I’ll do it.”

     His face suddenly glowed with happiness but before he could grab the necklace and put it around my neck, I stood up. My action baffled him.

     “I still have unanswered questions. I’m not wearing this,” I raised the so-called Key of Saol, “until I hear the full story.”

     He visibly relaxed.

     I raised an eyebrow and asked him, “How would you know if you’ve found Marina? How did she end up on land anyway?”

     “First, will you sit back down? I’ll get a stiff neck if I have to tell you a long story while you’re standing up.”

     I did as he asked, sitting cross-legged in front of him.

     “Marina’s mother was accused of treason because she tried to take King Tideus’s trident to a human.” I couldn’t help but be dumbfounded. Apparently, things like this happen even in under-the-sea civilizations.

     “She was caught and banished from Aquania. Her husband, the king, didn’t know of their child until she was gone. We’ve been trying to find the princess since then.” He showed me a silver bracelet—half of which is shaped like a sabre, while the other half is mostly a silver chain. “This is the Ardus sword. Just like with the Key of Saol, the Celaris are the only worthy holders of this weapon. It reacts when in the presence of a member of the royal family. The Ardus sword has always been used to protect the rulers of Aquania. It is the kingdom’s most powerful weapon.”

     “Wait. How sure is the king that Marina is his daughter? I mean, the human was the former queen’s lover, right? And other merpeople can interact with humans?” Really, this story has way too much background information.

     “Who said anything about a lover? The human who asked for the trident was a woman. She found out that there really is a powerful trident and she tricked the queen, making her believe that she knows of a certain fountain of youth. Back then, the queen was selfish and quite obsessed with her looks,” he said with disgust.

     “And yes, others of my species can interact with your people. It comes with a price however. Without the Key, a merman’s aging process increases when he or she interacts with a human.”

     He must have seen my astonished expression. In all truth, how complex can these merpeople get?

     “For example, if I interact with you when I don’t own the Key, the moment I swim back to Aquania, I would look about five years older. The veil makes sure of it. The only way for us to look normal again is if we kill the human we encountered.”

     “Now that’s just plain morbid,” I said, aghast.

     “It’s Aquanian law. We have to protect ourselves,” he told me, his voice filled with inevitability.

     I could understand that part. I mean, everyone would want to keep their secrets hidden as much as possible, right? Or the alternative would be a sacrifice.

     “Is there anything else you want to know?” Seirra asked me.

     I could almost understand fully what he’s trying to do and I must say that there’s nothing wrong with helping other people to achieve their goals.

     “I have no idea how you plan to search Grasveld Aisles but I’ll wear this Key of Saol thing.” I started to raise the necklace over my head, intending to wear it.

     “I’m going to need you close to me at all times. I need to live with you.”

     What he said stopped me. Oh shit. I forgot about that.

     Granted, I now live with Grampa, who isn’t really my grandfather, and he’s most likely to be willing to take on another ward but...I looked at this merman’s handsome face. We’re supposed to live under one roof for a month? Yes...or no? It didn’t take me long to answer my own question.

     “Don’t worry, we still have one bedroom to spare.”

     “Thanks.”

     We smiled at each other and I went on to put the jewelry around my neck. The moment I let it go to dangle in front of my chest, his silver-blue tail began to sparkle. The waves and the wind started to pick up, as if something mystical is about to happen—which is actually the case. His tail continued to shine and slowly, his gills began to fade away. The ends of his tail faded and soon, two sets of toes came into view. The disappearance of his scales continued gradually until nothing was left.

     He smiled and stood before me—in all his naked glory.