Fates: Chapter Forty-Two

Margaret

"Congratulations, Marge!"

"I've never heard anything so beautiful!"

"You'll be a star at Lancaster! Don't become a snob, okay?"

The concert had gone by in a blur. I sang as if I would never sing again and yet I remembered none of the things that had happened. I had no idea who had said what. Somehow, it seemed as if my brain refused to take anything as a memory. It was like I subconsciously decided that since I would never see any of these people again, I might as well start taking them for granted. For me, it was as if I was watching things happen on television.

It did not help that Seirra had gone distant since his father died. I had not seen him at all today and my desire for him to share his burden with me increased tenfold.

He had left the house yesterday without saying a word and did not even bother to retrieve his parents' rings. I knew he was hurt but coward that I was, I stayed in the bedroom and let my fears eat every thought in my head.

What if he was angry with me for being the reason for his father's antagonism? What if he regretted choosing me over his father's ideals?

I wished I knew what was going on in his head.

I sighed as I recalled yet again that we only have each other now. I had friends, that was true, but ever since I decided to go to Aquania, I was distinctly aware that Seirra was the only other person I could rely on. He once told me that his mother had died when he was very young leaving him as an only child. Now that his father was dead, the only people he had left were his friends-whoever they were. Or if he even had any.

And me.

Yes. He still had me just as I was sure I still had him.

He had told me he loved me and, well, I guess I was flattered. He was obviously sincere and I was quite sure that he would do everything for me. In a very short time he had proven his love. Countless times; without expecting anything besides helping him keep the peace in his kingdom; hoping nothing for himself.

And yet, I had not returned his love.

I continued being on auto-pilot as the day went on; the dark blue sky turning darker into black. The celebration continued in school and I walked and walked--my heart contracting with every smile I forced out of my lips.

I had to get out of here. I needed to see Seirra and make sure he was alright.

I had to--I had to tell him how I really felt.

I had to tell him I loved him.

I stopped walking as the depth of my feelings hit me hard. Robert and Steph were approaching me with big smiles on their faces but before they could reach me, I found my feet moving, rushing out of the hallway and out the building.

My schoolmates had set up booths and food stands around the campus, some of them saying hi and congratulating me. I didn't know if I bothered to respond. All I knew was that I had to see Seirra. It seemed vital and urgent. I was sure I would see him tomorrow--he wouldn't abandon his mission after all--but my instincts were telling me that if I did not tell him tonight--now--everything would be too late.

I had to find him.

It did not take long for my subconscious to figure out where he was.

I passed by my parents' graves with hardly a glance. I told myself I would go back to them just as soon as I had talked to Seirra.

The acacia tree seemed more mysterious tonight and yet seeing it made me feel more at peace. I walked on and finally saw him.

He was kneeling in front of Grampa's tombstone. He was not crying or grieving but there was something sad about the way he faced his grandfather. I moved on, making my steps quieter--not to keep him from hearing me but because I simply could not allow myself to make any more unnecessary noise.

Again, my presence did not surprise him. The moment I took a step away from the tree, his back stiffened, awareness making him more alert.

It was difficult to determine whether he wanted to see me or not but I continued towards him anyway. I tried not to take offense when he refused to look at me even after I reached him and had knelt beside him.

"You would've been a wonderful grandson to him," I began when he remained silent. "I don't remember the days you spent with us when Grampa was still alive but I'm pretty sure it was easy for him to treat you like his own grandson."

His lips moved and despite the darkness of the night, I could see that he was smiling. But I also found sadness in his eyes.

"I think he already knew the truth about me before I left for Aquania a month ago. He never gave away a clue but looking back, there were moments when I caught him looking at us as if he was seeing someone else." He paused as if he was going back to the events of the past. "Now that I think about it, Grampa would never have allowed me to take care of you if he didn't know who I really was. He strongly opposed my parents' union, after all."

I stared at him for several seconds, processing the implications of his words.

"Are you saying that if Grampa didn't know that you were his real grandson, he wouldn't have allowed you to stay with me that time?"

He finally turned to look at me as he answered, "Yes. He must have known I was his grandson because one of his favorite topics when we're left alone at Books and Covers was his daughter. I thought he merely liked talking about her but now, I think it was because he wanted me to know my mother more. I had once told him that I did not have much information about her and he probably felt that telling me those stories was the least he could do for me as a grandfather."

"But...If he knew, why didn't he tell you?"

He stared at Grampa's grave for a moment before telling me, "My father. It's possible that he didn't want to override my father's decision to hide the truth from me. Or he probably thought it was better if I didn't know anything."

I reached out and took his hand. Surprise registered in his eyes but I acted as if nothing was unusual.

"He was a wonderful person. I hope you won't begrudge him for keeping the truth from you," I told him with a soft smile.

He continued looking at me, probably waiting for me to explain why I was still holding him.

When I didn't say anything, he looked back at Grampa's tombstone and said, "I won't. More than anything, I'm happy to finally know more about myself. About my family. I might not have spent a lot of time with my grandfather but I'm glad I met him. Others were not as fortunate."

I squeezed his hand and he smiled back at me. Refusing to think anything more, I leaned onto him, hoping to tell him without words that things have changed. More so, I could no longer deny the fact that I wanted to comfort him. I hugged his arm and placed my head on his shoulder.

"Now that the truth was finally revealed, we can go to Aquania more peacefully," I commented in soft voice.

Seirra was looking strangely at me, as if he couldn't believe what he was seeing--which was probably the case.

"Marge?" he asked hesitantly.

I straightened but I kept holding his hand.

"Before we go, can you do me a favor?"

He still seemed confused by the change in the way I was treating him but he agreed, nonetheless.

"Anything in my power, I shall give you."

"Tell me everything about the first time we've met and have been together. I want to go to all the places we've been. Give me the memories I can't remember."

If he was surprised at my request, he did not show it. Instead, he stared back at me as if he wanted to cry. It seemed as if he was overwhelmed by the simplicity of the task when he was ready to lay the world at my feet.

"Is that all?"

I nodded and smiled at him.

"Let's tour Grasveld Aisles tomorrow," he finally declared. "It might be the last time but we'll make sure this place will always be special for us."