Fates: Chapter Fifty

Margaret

The meeting with their Elders passed by in a blur. It was difficult focusing on their discussions as fatigue started to overcome me. In truth, the only time I was able to speak was when Seirra introduced me.

They mostly asked questions which were easily answered by Seirra and Prince Erwann. Seirra and the prince admitted the truth about the former Oracle's death and apologized to the current Oracle for raiding the restricted area of what they called their Scribe Chamber.

The Elders expressed both their dismay and their amazement at how these younger merpeople were able to use such powerful enchantments to cross over the two worlds. They were particularly in awe of their princess's magic. To be able to use the Sacred Enchantment without dying was considered an incredible feat for such a young mermaid.

I heard the Elders saying how the enchantment could very easily consume the body that was sacrificed without proper control from the wielder. This was why the Sacred Enchantment was always used only with the aid of the kingdom's powerful jewels, and only when absolutely necessary. For the princess to use it and take on its effects was apparently something only the most powerful Aquanians could do - say for example, King Tideus during his younger years.

Sierra had told me how we found the lost princess and how she initially refused to go with him to Aquania, and I wondered exactly what kind of person she was. I secretly called her a bitch with the way Seirra described her but hearing everyone's admiration made me think that I might have gone overboard with my nickname for her. Granted, Sierra did say that her initial reaction to him was only because she thought her father had disowned her.

When I saw the mermaid lying on the coral bed, her seemingly pale and weak body was not able to hide her physical beauty. She was, as a matter of fact, enchanting. I had no idea whether she looked just as beautiful while she was on land but I had suddenly felt ordinary in her presence. If Seirra had so much described her as pretty when he told me about her, I probably would have been extremely jealous.

My mind started wandering and soon enough, they were wrapping the meeting to a close.

One question, however, remained: Why was Princess Marina still unconscious?

"Your Majesty," the Oracle said. "I still have no information on how to wake the princess but I will continue to look into it. I have faith that the princess will live - my dreams have shown her sitting on a throne and I do not see how my vision would be wrong."

The Oracle infused her words with as much confidence as she could but even I heard a tinge of doubt in her words.

"There was no precedent that we can rely on," The king replied. "I am just hoping that she is strong enough to come back to me."

We all bowed as the king was escorted by soldiers on his way out of the room. As soon as the Elders had left, Sierra turned to Erwann.

"Margaret needs to rest."

"I agree. Shall I arrange a room for her?"

"No need. She is coming home with me."

I was wondering where exactly I was meant to live here when I grasped what Seirra's words meant.

"Wait," I blurted out, surprising the mermen. "What do you mean I'm coming home with you?"

"It means you will live with me," Seirra replied matter-of-factly.

I blinked several times until it dawned on me that the only obvious place in Aquania that I can call my home is wherever it is that Seirra lives in.

Seirra suddenly looked unsure as he asked, "Do you wish to live anywhere else?"

"Well, no...I just thought we would be-" I cut myself off as I realized how foolish it is to think that human customs were completely applicable underwater. "Never mind. I guess my brain is just fuzzy from fatigue."