Fates: Chapter Thirty-Three

Seirra

     My entire body felt numb and I collapsed to the ground, mindless of the possibility of hurting myself any further. It was almost liberating, knowing that no enemies lurked any longer and Margaret was safe. At least for now.

     Hearing her scream and knowing that she was in danger had taken about thirty years off my life.

     Even after I had run and saw her still standing, I couldn’t shake off the feeling that someone was after her and that a time would come that I wouldn’t be there to protect her. It was one thing to know that she died and I would no longer be able to save Aquania the way I knew how. But it was a different matter altogether to know that the person I loved died without even remembering who I really was.

     I had fought in a manner that neither my father nor Erwann would have been proud of; but at that time, all I wanted was to come to Margaret and shield her from the enemies. When it was all over and she was there, unharmed, I closed my eyes and finally let fatigue and pain embrace me.

     My human form slowly returned while I used my remaining energy to heal my wounds. I heard Marge shriek not in fear but in what seemed like...embarrassment. I thought it was odd considering the circumstances, until I became conscious of the mud and grass that surrounded me.

     I had nothing to cover my body except well, grass.

     It took an effort to form a smile but when I did, it was accompanied by a chuckle. She had gone closer—I could sense her— and must have heard it because she gave out a snort.

     “What, pray tell, is so funny?” she demanded. “No. I am not talking to you. I am leaving this place until you’re dressed before I go and thank you for saving me. Goodness! People are going to think you’re a rapist! Oh hell. First, you tell me you're a merman and then you tell me we're in love. And then came the green monsters and then you became a green monster yourself and now I have to deal with you being all naked. I can't believe it!” She was blabbering. I couldn't help it and I grinned wider. “Where in heaven's name are your clothes?”

     I knew she was talking to me with her eyes closed. It was one of the most charming things about her; she valued modesty and propriety. I forced my eyes open and saw that I was right. Her eyes were shut, her brows were furrowed together and she was pacing. But the best thing of all, she was blushing. I took a breath and decided to tease her a little.

     “The last time you thought I was naked you slapped me and accused me of being a pervert and a rapist. You haven’t changed, Marge.”

     She gasped in what I could only assume was horrified indignation. My voice had been weak and almost hoarse but clear and she heard it clearly.

     “I have never seen you naked!” she cried.

     “Yes. You have.” I paused and she tapped her foot in agitation. She was also scowling at me with her eyes closed. It made me chuckle again. “Although when you did see me, you stared.”

     “I did not!

     I grinned. “How did you know?”

     She didn’t know how she could have known that so she simply crossed her arms and demanded again, “Where are your clothes?”

     I laughed at her expense then went on to ask the Key of Saol to provide me with clean clothes. Although I still had not regained all of my strength yet, I struggled to sit up. The pain at my side still stung and I continued to use my healing magic. She returned to pacing but was now muttering to herself.

     “I have clothes on now,” I told her in a solemn voice.

     She stopped in her tracks but she kept her eyes closed.

     “I don’t believe you.”

     “Whatever you say, Marge. I, on the other hand,” I slowly tried to stand before I continued, “shall go and make sure that Robert’s not dead yet.”

     “Oh my gosh! Robert!”

     Her eyes flew open and without bothering to check if I really had clothes on or if I was simply trying to con her into opening her eyes, she rushed toward where Robert lay, unconscious.

     I ambled to where they were, fatigue slowing me down. She crouched down and took Robert’s wrist. When she felt his pulse, she heaved a sigh of relief and sent a short prayer of thanks.

     “We need to bring him to a hospital. He might have broken his bones when he crashed against the tree,” she told me.

     I watched her poke and pinch Robert’s body, inspecting him for any injury and a bubble of envy rose in my throat. I stamped it down with as much effort as I could. I gazed down at her and something tightened in my chest. Her hair was in disarray and she looked as disheveled as a girl who had just participated in a brawl but somehow, I still found her pretty.

     “Hey. I said we need to bring him to a hospital,” she repeated as she stood up and faced me.

     “He’ll be fine,” I said through gritted teeth. “The magic that protected both of you a while ago has healed him.”

     “We can’t be so sure. He needs a doctor.”

     She looked ready to fight me and anything that would dare contradict her. It made me feel dejected.

     “He was thrown to a tree and I got stabbed. How come you never demanded to bring me to a hospital?” I asked, my voice soft.

     Her eyes widened with what seemed like shame for her lack of concern to the person who saved her. The guilt in her eyes felt worse than the wound I just finished healing.

     “I—” She swallowed. And then she lifted her chin defensively. “Well, for one, you’re not human.” She waved a hand from my head to my feet. “You even managed to heal yourself splendidly. Robert doesn’t have your magic. He could die at any moment.”

     “I could’ve died too,” I said quietly.

     She hugged herself and looked away without answering. It was her refusal to think of me as someone important that made me desperate. Before I could even think about what I was doing, my hands had reached for her and pulled her closer and closer until she was locked within my embrace. She tried to resist but we both knew her effort was futile. I wanted her and I was sure she needed me.

     I squeezed her tighter without hurting her and buried my face in her hair. Not even during those times when she knew and remembered me was I able to hug her like this. She smelled like lavender and earth. It was a concrete reminder of how different we were; that she was a human and that I was a merman.

     Nevertheless, I continued to keep her close. Despite everything, she belonged with me and I belonged with her. She must have felt what little connection we have left because she relaxed and allowed me to continue holding her. We stayed that way for what felt like hours but had only been seconds before she pushed back and gazed up at me.

     There was a riot of emotion in her eyes and I looked back at her, hoping—pleading—that she give me a chance. She seemed entranced and confused at the same time. Seconds later, she took a deep breath and turned away from me. I waited patiently, although my brain was screaming for me to shake her, beg her to remember me.  

     When she started to look back at me, I felt my heart stop.

     “Seirra, I know you saved me and all but…can we be friends first?”

     I guess at this moment, I couldn’t hope for more.