Chapter One ~ From The Start.

Ava Chance.

Once I hit the volleyball, it flew from my arms and over the net, scoring the winning point for my team. They all enthusiastically erupted in screams as they all ran at each other for hugs. Me being the shy person I am, backed away.

Unfortunately being the clumsy person I am, I fell, twisting my ankle, resulting in me falling, screaming, and crying as I hit the ground. All I felt was pain, soaring up my ankle to my knee and so on. I held onto my ankle as if it would somehow magically make all the pain go away.

But the pain wasn't going away. Damn it.

The whole gym stopped what they were doing and surrounded me with curious eyes, making me the centre of attention.

With my dead blue eyes, flat brown hair, average height, and childish behaviour, I was bland and boring. So not often was I the centre of attention.

But right now I was.

And it was absolutely terrifying.

Coach Harris' whistle being blown snapped my head up and towards where the crowd was opening, only to let Coach Harris in.

"Ava, you're holding up practice. Get up." Coach said, oblivious to my obvious pain.

"I-I Can't." I said quietly.

"What?" He said cupping his ears, indicating for me to be louder.

"I said, I can't." with a bit more power.

"Louder!" Coach snapped angrily.

"I said, I can't!" I screamed when the whole gym went silent and stared at me with wide eyes.

"And why not?"

See, this is what I hated about Coach Harris. He loved seeing me squirm, always singling me out, and always looked at me with hungry, lustful eyes, like a lion that hasn't seen a female in a year.

Yeah, that bad.

"M-my ankle; I twisted it."

"Oh, really?" He looked at me with almost daring eyes, as I slowly nodded.

"Alright Ava, since you claim you can't walk, I'm going to carry you down to the nurses office." Looking at me with those same familiar starving eyes.

"NO! I-I mean - I can try to walk." Getting up, I bit my lip while trying to hold in my sobs and screams, as tears silently ran down my face.

Honestly the pain was unbearable, I knew I hadn't broken the ankle; But I wasn't a tough girl. I couldn't hurt a fly, Slap a living being, Or yell at anyone. I knew I was a wuss.

And then I fell back down.

"Come on Ava, I don't bite." He winked at me, causing the bile to rise in my throat.

Slowly, Coach Harris came down to my level; his arms sliding under my knees a little too close to my butt for my liking.

But before Coach could actually lift me up...

"Coach, wait!"

"Yes, Son?" Coach groaned as he stood up, turning to - well I don't know 'cause he was still in the crowd of people.

"Let me carry her."

Stepping forward was none other Cooper Kingsley, our schools and town's bad boy. Cooper was a championship boxer, drove a motorcycle, and it's a known fact he'd been to jail four times... this year.