Part Eight

Part Eight

As his foot hit the ground the world seemed to spin, and then flashed black before he saw an endless sea of trees lain out before him. What was that? He wondered.

He turned his head to look behind him and spun around, shock clearly displayed on his face. The gate was gone and behind him was even more trees that weren't there before.

Don't freak out. The little wisp said from beside him. Just follow the map.

"What happened?" Link asked her.

The Lost Woods happened. She said. The trees like to move, to confuse people. Just keep going, as long as you know where you're going you won't get lost.

"How do you know?"

I just do. She drifted further into the woods. Hurry, before the trees move again.

He nodded, deciding to drop the subject until later.

Taking a look at his map, he determined he should go straight... but for how long?

Link, look, the lines on the ground.

One look told him that there were, in fact, lines on the ground, carved in the dirt, most likely by Iredean.

If we follow them they should mark each of the paths on the map. The wisp inquired. Iredean said that the red path was the safest route to the tower, we should stick to that one.

Link nodded in agreement and started walking. He didn't get very far.

There was a sudden streak of red and black, and then there was a blade to his throat.

Link! The wisp seemed to shake, and then it rushed at him. He felt a chill when it pushed through him, and then the blade was gone.

He whirled to see his attacker, but he saw nothing except the wisp that quite possibly just saved his life.

Are you okay? She asked him. He nodded and rubbed at his throat. Let's just keep going. And be on your guard.

Link nodded and turned back to the path ahead. "This way."

Again, he took a step and then stopped in his tracks. He noted the black and red streak, and he knew the blade was too come.

He saw it flash, felt it when the air pushed into his neck. But, this time he was ready. Before the wisp could even say a word he had ducked and spun around the attacker. Within seconds had the attackers arm pinned behind his back and his face pushed into the ground.

All at once he heard the wisp shout his name, and then the attacker grunt as he hit the ground.

"Who are you?" Link demanded of him.

"Get off me!" The guy mumbled into the dirt.

Tell us you won't hurt Link, and we'll let you go.

Link eased up on the guy and let him breathe.

"You have my word." He said finally.

In one swift motion, Link jumped off his attacker and was on his feet next to the wisp.

Link looked the attacker over whilst he got up. His hair was bright red, and he wore brown cloth pants. He carried a broad black sword that he swung behind his back with one hand. Most importantly, about fifty percent of his body was covered in bandages identical to Iredean's.

You're a Wood Sprite. The wisp voiced Link's discovery.

"Who told you about us?" The sprite demanded.

"Iredean." Link answered.

"Iredean? How do you know my sister?" He demanded.

She sent us to look for the tower in the center of the woods.

The wisp said. After she saved Link's life, she asked us to help her.

"Iredean saved you? A Hylian?" The spite looked appalled. "What does she need your help for anyway?"

Iredean has asked us to defeat the monster residing in the tower. She's afraid for your people. The wisp explained.

The sprite scoffed, and crossed his arms. "We don't need your help, Hylian. Go home."

"I promised Iredean-" Link started.

"Do you really think you can defeat a monster that we can't? I've been fighting all my life and I can't compare to the power of that monster." He narrowed his eyes. "You're quick, I'll give you that, but you'll be dead within minutes of entering that tower."

I don't think you know-

"You really think this kid is meant to save Hyrule?" The sprite spat, reading the wisp's thoughts. "I don't care if he is the reincarnation of past heroes. He's nothing."

Link may be young, but he's just starting out. He has so much ahead of him that you couldn't dream of. He will be the strongest, fastest, wisest, and most courageous warrior seen by these lands in almost five hundred years, and he will save Hyrule from Ganondorf's clutches. No matter what you have to say about it.

"How pathetic. You really think this kid can do it." The sprite sneered. "Come this way, I'll show you something."

Who are you anyway?

"Call me Jayrend." He started walking down the path. "You comin' or not, 'Hero'?"