Part Twenty-Eight

A/N: This part will be dedicated to my lucky fan number 53!!!! And that very awesome, very lucky person is...! FatihCekic!! Congratulations my friend! :) Happy reading everybody! :D Lots of action, and even a little bit of blood... *cue suspenseful music* :D

- - -

Part Twenty-Eight

Link looked around the room behind him, uncertain of what he was getting himself into. He stepped carefully in the room, his foot only going in half way through the doorway, and then he leant in, poking his head in just far enough to see around the small, diamond shaped, bare walled, empty room.

Link... The wisp spoke quietly, sounding as if she was a small frightened child, and Link thought of his sister Leera back home in Torsain, and it wasn't the first time either. He tried not to think about her, or Perri, or Bellatrine, or Bruk, or any of the other people he'd grown up around. He wanted to, he missed them all, but every time he did he was reminded of what Zelda had said to him on that very first day; I fear you might not make it back in time to save this village.

He was worrying himself sick, to be honest. He truly loved his little sister, and he feared the worst, but he had to take his mind off of his family, or he'd never be able to focus on what was important. Saving their lives. And not just theirs. For some reason unknown to him, he'd been trusted to save Zelda, too, and possibly all of Hyrule - a land he'd never seen, but felt responsible for.

I don't like this. The wisp broke him from his stray thoughts. Something's not right.

Link nodded in agreement, stepping back into the room behind him. His eyes flashed to the left when he thought he saw something flicker in the corner of the room, but everything was still when his eyes found the spot. The room was completely empty.

"Maybe I missed som-" He was cut off when he yelled out in surprise and pain as something big and solid slammed into his chest, sending him flying across the room and into the stone wall above the door. His spine crunched roughly against the stone and he fell to the ground with a thud, his right eyebrow and cheek bones cracking loudly against the floor. His vision went black for a second, but he was still conscious. He struggled to move as his vision slowly came back, and he pushed himself up onto his fore arms. He blinked when he heard the cranking sound of something moving and he could just make out the blurry outline of the glass pedestal as it sank down below the stone floor. He turned his head and realized the bars separating the three rooms were also moving, raising up towards the ceiling and disappearing from sight. He blinked rapidly, pushing himself up on his hands and knees and then up to his feet. He staggered a moment, but managed to keep himself up right. Finally, he could see again, but the room was still empty. He didn't know what had hit him.

Link! The mirrors! Look!

His eyes snapped over to one of the larger mirrors next to him and widened at what he saw. He did a double take, glancing to the space in front of him again only to find it still empty. His eyes slowly rolled over to the mirror again, and the beast was still there. It's body was a blinding color of yellow, and it's eye a starkly contrasting purple. Black venom leaked from it's fangs, streaking down the Zardence's face in jagged lines, which wasn't but a foot in front of his own face streaked in blood from the blow to his face. Link's eyes trailed from mirror to mirror, and yet the Zardence was still there, watching him closely, studying him, as if waiting for him to make the first move.

He had to do something. He knew if that beast decided to attack, he wouldn't be able to get out of the way safely before it sent him flying across the room again, or worse off, sank it's sword like fangs into his body.

Slowly, Link's fingers twitched towards the silver dagger sheathed on his belt. He watched the yellow Zardence through the mirror as it watched him, and only when his fingertips brushed against the cool metal did the beast's purple eye flash towards his hand. He saw the beast rear back slightly, it's mouth opening widen as it prepared for an attack, but Link was quicker. He grabbed the hilt of the dagger and swung towards the Zardence's neck, knowing all to well that the beast was too quick for the dagger to actually hit it, but not smart enough to anticipate that Link knew, or that he would use that to his advantage.

The beast had to move it's entire body back out of Link's arm reach, and Link took the extra space to push off the ground sideways, jumping and then rolling across the floor and away from the beast, skidding to a halt with the dagger in his hand scraping noisily against the floor.

He heard the beast hiss, but the stone walls made the noise echo across the room and he was unable to pinpoint the Zardence's exact location. He raised his head in order to rely on his sight once more, and found the beast through the mirrors, still in the same spot; it's single, purple eye narrowed to a slit.

The beast lowered it's head and snaked forward along the ground, approaching him slowly. Just as slowly, Link rose from his crouch, gripping the dagger harshly in his hand. They eyed each other carefully, silently strategizing against the enemy.

Link remembered his last encounter with a Zardence, and the battle had very nearly killed him. He remembered the several blows to the head that it took to open the beast's thick skin, but somehow he knew that this specific Zardence would have a different weakness, as it was not as quick to attack, nor as violent in it's approach. Having this Zardence injure itself in the same way as the first wasn't very plausible, but another way... possibly.

By now the beast was close; so close that Link could see the yellow end of it's face in the mirror directly to his right. His fingers tightened around the blade as he watched the Zardence in the mirror, watched it inch closer and closer. Finally he could see it's glowing purple orb of an eye in the mirror as well, and he could see that it was aimed directly at him, seemingly unwavering from his left hand, where he held the silver dagger.

Link started when it's eye snapped quickly to the side, and met his in the mirror. Suddenly, the beast roared in anger, lashing madly to Link's left, circling back to the center of the now large room. Link was unable to move in the time it took for the beast do so - it moved too quickly - but he was lucky he wasn't hit when the beast's tail whipped past him. It smashed into the mirror, effectively shattering the glass into little fragments that clinked musically across the stone floor.

Link recomposed himself, his mind going into over drive. So the beast didn't like to be seen? But, how could he use that to his advantage? That was when he noticed it. The thin trails of blood on the floor before the mirror. The beast had cut itself when it had broken the mirror.

A smirk made it's way onto Link's face, and he found the beast in another mirror, it's fangs barred, it's eye narrowed. The beast met his eyes in the mirror once again, and the yellow Zardence reared back, it's fury directed at the reflective object on the wall.

Too easy.

- - -

A/N: Don't worry, it's not over yet :) I just really wanted to get this posted today, and plus, I like cliffhangers. xD Comment and vote to tell me if you liked it! xD