Part Fourteen

Part Fourteen

Stepping into the tower, he could feel the dampness in the air, as if it had just rained. It was dark except for the patch of light thrown into the room from the door behind him. Looking around, the room was almost completely empty, but in the very center of the room was a stone pedestal with small, glowing spheres of multiple colors placed on top of it.

Link approached it curiously, stepping around it in a circle as he read the Hylian inscription engraved around it. Torsainians were native Hylian speakers, as it is said that they adopted the language from the mortal Torsain, as it was his native tongue.

The inscription said this:

Through each door you'll find just one piece,

And placed here will reveal the key,

That grant you access to slay the beast,

And bestow upon you what you seek.

The inscription stopped, placing him in front of two stones, one red, and one white. He glanced over the pedestal, realizing that every stone except the white, which was placed inside, was placed just behind a small divot that they would fit inside perfectly, each color stone was matched with the divot that had the inscription of their names carved in front of the divot. In order, they were; white, red, blue, yellow, orange, purple, green. There was one, in between yellow and orange, which the carving inscription had been scrubbed out. There was no stone that matched this divot.

Just as he was about to move to investigate further, he heard something rumbling, and then the cold sound of stone moving on stone. Having heard the sound from above, he looked up.

There was a hole in the ceiling. Instantly, he readied himself, but nothing could have prepared him for what came out. He'd never seen anything like them.

In blurs, they dashed to the walls and dropped onto the ground in heaps, and then, one by one, they raised their menacing heads, fangs bared, thin tongues flickering in and out of their mouths. They each looked the same, but in different colors. Strangely, their eyes were closed, but the moved fast enough and steadily enough that it seemed like they knew where they were going.

Link, on the other hand, had no idea until they lashed out towards the center of the room. He watched as the dark blue one closed the orange stone into its deadly jaws and then shot back to the hole in the ceiling.

He only realized the intent of the beasts fast enough to grab the two stones in front of him; red and white. When he took the white stone from the pedestal, a huge stone door fell in front of the entrance, thrusting the entire room into darkness. As fast as he could move, he ducked down out of the way of the blind creatures and braced himself against the side of the pedestal.

He stayed there until he heard the sound the stone of the ceiling being shoved back into place, only then did he move to place the white stone back onto the pedestal. The door opened back up and he got to his feet, now able to see clearly again.

That was strange. The wisp said. I don't think someone wants us here. Those creatures are called Zardences. (A/N: This may be temporary, I'll let you know if I change it :p) They are usually minions, under command of a greater, more powerful force, whether it's another creature or some other sort of influence.

"Influence?" Link asked.

Some sort of enchantment, or magic, but even most of those are cast by another creature. I'm not sure, but I'm not entirely convinced the Lost Woods isn't under an enchantment like that.

"You think someone cursed the Lost Woods?"

It's entirely possible. I can't tell for sure until we know more about the monsters here and the Wood Sprites. Iredean said that the monster in the tower was the oldest of all of them, the first. Investigating further into the tower will most likely help us in the long run, I suggest that we keep and eye and ear out for anything that might help us to find out.

Link nodded before turning back to the pedestal. He examined the smooth, spherical stone in his hand, wondering what made it give off the eerie red glow as he placed it into the divot marked with the word RED with a soft clink.

The stone seemed to purr as if it was coming to life, and the glow of it expanded. Link backed up and shielded his eyes with his hands as the light grew brighter. Just as the light was about to fill the room, it snapped back to the stone, leaving the stone black for a split second, before, with a metallic ring, the light flared again, contracting itself into a sort of glass pipe.

Link could only watch as the light traveled around and down the pedestal, filling it with the red glow, and then as it swirled around the floor, the walls, in an almost random pattern, before it reached a stone door, where began to fill the vine shapes and circles.

Finally, everything was lit with the red stone's glow, and then with another ring similar to the first, three triangles flared to life with the red glow. They were in the same formation as the one on the wall outside, and for a moment, Link wondered what it meant.

With a loud rumble, the stone door started to shake, and bits or stone a dust fell to the ground as the door opened. Sunlight filled the room as the door rose up.

He had to blink his eyes a few times as they adjusted to the light, and then he could see past the metal bars to the field outside. But that was it. The room was a small chamber, no bigger than to fit one person inside, and the only way it lead anywhere was up.

Curiously, Link stepped into the chamber, and just as he was turning back around to leave, the floor beneath his feet lurched, startling the young hero, and then rose up. When it stopped, he was in front of a wooden door, marked with the word RED.

++++++++

A/N: GAH! IT'S SO SHORT! I'M SORRY!

I'll try to post the next soon, still working on puzzles and crap :/ sorry guys, hope you liked it though :)