Part Nine

^ Lucky Fan #13 Everyone! ^ Happy reading! Xoxo --- B

Part Nine

Link and the wisp followed the wood sprite Jayrend down the long path drawn into the dirt. Link observed that they stuck to the path he'd been told to travel, except when Link noted that they should have turned and Jayrend went straight.

"Iredean said we shouldn't go this way." He said.

"It's a short cut." Jayrend waved him off without turning to look at him. "What I want to show you is just through here."

How do you expect Link to stand up to that thing without a weapon? The wisp asked suddenly. If you want to see how brave he is you have to at least give him a fighting chance.

"He won't need one." Jayrend glared at the wisp. "Sorry, but last time I checked, I no longer have to take orders from you, Princess."

Briefly, Link wondered what Jayrend meant by "no longer," but he didn't have time to ask.

"Come on, Hero." Jayrend motioned for him to follow. "Let's see what you're really made of."

Jayrend took off in a sprint and disappeared into the thick if the trees.

Link turned to the wisp at his side. I don't like this, Link. She said. I can feel something over there. Something enhanced with dark magic.

Link nodded in understanding.

Are you going after him? She asked after a moment.

"I am. I have to convince these people that I can help them. If this is the way to do it, then I'll do it."

Okay. If this is what you want? Link nodded. We should go find him then.

Link turned and started back in the direction Jayrend had disappeared to. The wisp watched him until he was out of ear shot.

You really are so much like him. She said to herself. I never thought I'd get another chance to help you. I won't let history be repeated. You have to save Zelda's soul, and Hyrule. I'll make sure you don't fail, Link. I'll do whatever it takes to bring our souls together again.

Link turned around and looked at the wisp as she floated silently in the air. "Are you coming?"

She didn't speak, instead she went to his side as he smiled at her and followed him to the monster that awaited them.

Link stepped though the trees to find that Jayrend was no where in sight. He suddenly got a bad feeling as he took in his surroundings. The path was narrow, with trees on one side and a large brick wall to the other. The gray bricks were covered in moss and vines. There was a large rectangle cut out of the wall, and over it's opening were huge jail like bars, bent and broken out of shape.

Taking a closer look, he could see there were what appeared to be finger shaped indentions on some of the bars, but if they were fingers they were bigger around than his own torso.

He took a step and something crunched beneath his foot, he froze on the spot. He saw a familiar red and black blur shoot out from a place where the bars were bent enough for a human to fit through.

He jumped into a back flip faster than he could even think to blink, and watched as a red hand with black marks and sickening black claws withdraw back into the prison in the stone wall.

Curiously, he inched forward to try and see what was in the inky blackness of the cell. Again the red hand flew toward him and he tried to backtrack out of the way. One of the monsters claws snagged his glove and slammed him into the ground.

He landed with a grunt, and the monster began to drag it's claws back, pulling up the dirt and stone with ease, and dragging Link along with it.

He knew he had to act quickly, but he couldn't think of what to do. He assessed his surroundings once again, looking for an out. That's when he noticed it. He used his feet to flip a long stick into the air and he caught it with his free hand, flipping his body over in the same motion and slamming the stick onto the monsters red skin.

It felt like the stick had hit solid granite as it splintered into a thousand pieces on one end. Relentlessly, Link flipped the stick in his hand and struck again with the other side, this time hitting a large black, target shaped mark. The stick penetrated the monsters skin and Link heard an enraged roar as the monster lifted it's claws from the dirt and out off Link's glove.

Link slumped to the ground, laying on his back. He looked up and saw the same hand over his body, the stick removed from the black mark. He reacted quickly as the monsters hand made a grab for him and rolled to the right. The black claws swiped at the air where he lay only seconds ago.

He didn't have time to get up before the hand came at him again, and he rolled to the left. It retreated momentarily and he took his opportunity to flip himself up into a standing position, and flip backwards out of the way before the monsters claws slammed full force into the dirt. His hand hit something hard and he grasped it, before he took the chance to hit the hand again.

He jumped into the air and readied the dagger shaped rock in both his hands, slamming it into the black target on it's thumb.

The monster roared in agony, and withdrew it's hand. It screamed, making the walls of it's prison shake, and then everything was quiet except for Link's heavy breathing.

Is it over? The wisp asked after a moment.

"I don't think that killed it, no." Link said.

"Right you are." Jayrend jumped to ground level from the tree tops and landed before Link. "Not bad, Hero. Honestly you did better than I expected."

You planned this? The wisp demanded angrily, floating forward in front of Link. How could you? He could have been killed!

"That's the idea." Jayrend shrugged. "You really think that if he was meant to save Hyrule and defeat Ganondorf, that he'd actually die from a monster like that? Of course I was testing him, Princess, what else would I be doing?"

You have no idea what you're dealing with here! If he had died everything would have been ruined! You could have destroyed everything with your stupidity! What makes you think you have any right to do that?

"Pipe down, Princess, you're voice hurts my ears." Jayrend turned back to Link who stood quietly behind the wisp. "You'll be reunited with your original path through here. You have my permission to try and help us."

Link nodded.

"Oh, and try not to die, Hero." He turned on his heel and looked up to the tree tops. "Iredean seems to think this is important, and I won't have you breaking her heart." He declared before he jumped in another blur and disappeared amongst the trees.

 Video to the side is pretty funny, watch if you want to XD

Want to see my vision of Soul Song? Check out my art at flickr.com/photos/link_is_sexyxd :)

I do warn you though, I don't draw people very well, so don't make fun of them -.- I prefer my landscape and building drawings, which will be posted as they appear in the story. XD

Til next time --- B