Chapter 1

Minutes ticked by as the gods waited for Genna’s answer . They stood outside her room as Genna thought. It has been hours now and she has not come out.

     Aphrodite went up and knocked on the door, “Genna, sweetheart, we really need to know so you can leave.”

      Seconds later she opened the door. Genna had on brown hiking shorts and a black tank top, “Artemis, will you please come with me.” She asked her sister.

     “Of course,” she looked shocked that her sister chose her. Artemis went back to her room and packed a small backpack then put on jean shorts and a red silver t-shirt with the moon on it.

     They met in the stables as Artemis got her chariot ready. The two white horses loved to drive but unfortunately they would not be for long. The left horses nuzzled her nose into Genna shoulder and she laughed. Snowflake was her favorite horse because of her personality. Artemis climbed in and so did Genna.

     “Where to?” Artemis asked. She has been an immortal eighteen-year-old girl for centuries where as Genna has been immortally twenty-three for five years.

     “I think we should try the safe house,” Genna sat down although Artemis had to stand to steer.

     “Sounds good to me,” she told the horses to move forward. The lunged into the sky and made their way to the states. Genna rested her head against the side of the chariot. “Why did you choose me?” Artemis asked.

    “Because you’re the only one who doesn’t know how it feels.” Genna closed her eyes.

     “How what feels?”

     “Heart break. All of them say things to me trying to make things better, but really all I want is to forget.” Genna stretched her legs out.

     “Are you going to try to find him?” Artemis was hesitant.

     “Yes, I owe him that,” Genna said. “I’m going to try to sleep so wake me up when we’re in Maine.”

     *           *          *

     Several hour later Artemis and Genna were outside the safe house. It took everything Genna had not to cry as they walked through the door like it was the first time. Inside tens of kids from ages seven to eighteen ran hung out. A young boy of eight years noticed them and ran up.

     “I’m Zahn. Who are you?” he asked.

     “I’m Genna and this is my sister Artemis. Can you please tell me who the head of the house is,” Genna smiled.

     He looked shocked at their names, “Sage is in her room upstairs.”

     Genna sighed at the name of her old friend and ran upstairs. She flung the door to the Athena room open to find a twenty eight year old girl reading a room to a young five year old with the same blonde hair and grey eyes. Sage looked up at Genna.

     “Genna?” Sage gasped. She got up and ran to her. “I missed you so much.”

     Genna wrapped her arms around her sister, “I missed you too.”

     Sage pulled away, “What are you doing here? I thought you had to remain on Olympus.”

     “I’m on a mission for Zeus,” Genna smiled. She looked back at Artemis, who was standing uncomfortably in the doorway. “This is Artemis.”

     She walked over and held out her hand, “Nice to see you again.”

     “You have not changed at all in these fifteen years.” Sage smiled.

     “You’re still here,” Genna laughed.

     “Yep. Me, Chelsea, Lucy, and Alvina all stayed,” Sage went over to her bed and picked up the little five year old. “This is Grace, your baby sister. The only other Athena child.”

     “Hi,” Genna waved at her.

    “You can go see Lucy now,” Grace waved her away.

     Genna starred at her in awe. She was just thinking about Lucy before Grace spoke.

    “Later after you catch up with everyone we need to talk,” Sage stained the need.

     Genna went to the dark Hades room and opened the door. It was the same as she remembered it only instead of a fourteen-year-old girl sitting on the couch she saw a twenty eight year old texting on her blackberry. She looked up and smiled.

     “I was wondering when I would see your face again,” she got up and hugged her.  “Alvina, Chelsea come here.”

     Chelsea and Alvina came in through the door and starred at Genna. They shrieked then ran and hugged her.

     Artemis cleared her throat in the doorway, “I know you miss them and all, but we are on a mission.”

     Chelsea turned around startled, “Lady Artemis!” she bowed her head down.

     “Please, right now I’m just Genna’s sister,” Artemis said. “We must ask you all if you know anyone by the name of Jackson Casson?”

     “No, who’s here?” Lucy asked.

     “The only descendant of Hera,” Artemis said. “We must find him and the apple of discord before Texas declares war on California and Florida.”

     “Texas is going to war against California and Florida?” Alvina asked.

     “If we don’t find the apple of discord then yes,” Artemis shooed Genna out of the Hades room.

     “We will stay here for the night then depart in the morning,” Genna smiled. They all went to their rooms and climbed into bed. Artemis slept in the Artemis room on the floor with all the animal skins and furs. In the Athena room was three beds now. Genna climbed into her purple floating bed and fell fast asleep hoping that she could drag her stay at the safe house out as long as possible.