14. Let's Talk About Boys

I was home for the weekend. You know, doing laundry, stealing refills for sugar and salt for our apartment from my parent's pantry, the works.

Last night had been intense, I was still mulling over the truckload of information I'd received, I was thinking more about all the information I hadn't received. I didn't want to think about it, but little things, like the words they said, the clothes they wore, the upholstery on the chairs they sat on kept coming back to me.

When I saw a red shirt of mine take a turn in the washer I remembered the blood dripping down from the new guy's broken nose, the outer frame of my TV reminded me of the gizmo Scarlet used to show me how confidential their files were. Honestly, most of it was blacked out, especially their names.

I was watching the creek from the window seat in my room. I shivered when the cool breeze whirled in through the window and nipped at me, raising goosebumps all the way down my arms.

Maddy was sat on my bed, she was watching an episode - she'd already seen - of Supernatural on TV, but she kept sneaking glances at me, worrying her lower lip and occasionally pushing her spectacles up her nose.

It would've been endearing if it wasn't slowly but surely, getting on my nerve, not the spectacle pushing, the sneaky glances.

I was wondering if I took those spectacles from her would she stop when my phone began to ring. I glanced at the screen and groaned.

"What happened?" Maddy asked as I threw the phone on the bed. She reached for it and looked at it.

"Call from the devil." I informed her, it was Hayden calling me.

"Why don't you block his number?" she asked. "It would save you a whole lot of time."

"It flatters me to pretend he's pining over me." I admitted to her honestly as I flipped through the pages in the book on my lap. I wouldn't tell many other people how I really felt.

"You are fifty kinds of twisted logic, Kay." I rolled my eyes. Maddy is the only person I would let call me Kay. She means well and we've fought over it a few times already. She will not stop and I am weary of trying to convince her otherwise.

"But, Kay," Maddy shifted into a more upright position, oh no, here it comes. "What are you gonna do about Reed?"

I groaned and covered my face, turning it towards the window, not that again!

"He really likes you!" she insisted. I don't doubt that.

"Don't be silly, girl." I reprimanded her. "It is my body he likes, not me."

"You don't be silly!" she reverted, ever so cleverly.

"That's a great form of argument, I beseech you to let me kiss your feet, so as to pay my respects to your wonderful skills of verbal combat-" I was smacked in the face with a pillow. "You dare try to suffocate me? You shall feel the wrath of my-" Another pillow. "Are you disrespecting my family?"

She stopped with her hands holding another pillow up, this pillow was very old and ravaged, one of my oldest ones, my mother had sewn in 'Lisaa' on it so I refused to let it go. "What?" She asked in utter confusion.

"Did you call my mother a prostitute?" I asked her, getting up from my window seat in an aggressive manner.

"Pr- Prostitute? No!" She lowered her arms. A moment of confusion to aid me.

"Are you calling my father an alcoholic?" I demanded to know as I approached the bed.

"I, no, I never-" She let the pillow down completely.