03. Worst Surprise Ever

After what felt like millions of introductions, greetings, around thirty minutes of elite-people-rambling. I was forced to stand in a circle with my Mother, her friends and a few of their daughters.

It was undeniably boring. I was so, so bored I could lie down with a paper bag over my head and pray for death.

But half way through a certain conversation, I found myself standing and grinning like a fool as Mrs. Flint recounted how her son got to train in NASA for a week.

Instead of listening to her I stood there imagining Reed Benjamin Flint, her son and possibly my best friend co-piloting with a monkey in the middle of the insanely posh training facility which by the way I had visited thanks to Reed.

I dunno what it is about that boy, he had to take me every place he goes. If I don't want go, nor does he. I don't get his attachment to me. But at that moment, thinking of him co-piloting with a monkey was hilarious.

My Mother nudged me and gave the warning look that she gives me that clearly said she knew what I was doing and I should stop. What a kill-joy.

She turned to Mrs Flint and said, "Would you be so kind as to excuse us?"

"Of course, dear," came the reply. Mrs. Flint and Mother are close friends. She was my favorite out of all the fake rich-bitch dolls in my parent's immediate group of friends. I can tell she genuinely cares whether I live or die.

All the other ladies standing in the circle nodded in agreement. Some smiled as if they were hiding a secret and the others shared knowing glances which made me immediately suspicious.

Nothing good came out of a group of super rich trophy wives and their daughters grinning secretively.

"Mom? What's going on" I asked nervously.

Mother grabbed hold of my arm by the elbow and speed-walked me to Father who was sitting at a table with Grandma and Uncle Ian.

"Look at you!" Father said getting up and pulling me into a hug, which took me by surprise. He refrained from getting too personal, or emotional in public. "My little girl is all grown up!"

"She sure has blossomed, Arthur." Grandma agreed looking at me lovingly.

I smiled back affectionately. I love Grandma. She's the only one who bothers to listen to what I have to say. She always sideswith me when my parents complained to her about was a stubborn child I was.

Grandma looked like one of those distinguished older ladies who had aged gracefully and keep their posture. At her age she looked great and made it look easy. And if I said it out loud the old geysers at the next table would fume.

Father has a saying, 'Children should be seen and not heard.' Even though I turned nineteen a few months ago the rule still applies to me. Apart from a few default greetings, and compliments. I should keep my mouth sealed, choke on my words and I simply must smile as I do so.

"Yes, a well groomed horse she is!" Great Uncle Ian declared as his eyes roved over the newspaper in his hands. His comment earned him many confused glances.

"My Granddaughter is not a horse, Ian!" Grandma said, while frowning at her brother indignantly.

"Of course she isn't. Were we not talking about Blossom? She's sure to win the races today." Grand Uncle Ian winked at me and I giggled. Uncle Ian never stopped being the naughty boy he used to be. "If I was a betting man, I'd put all my money on her." He added as he tapped my nose affectionately and I grinned.

"Alright, I think it's time!" Father gave my mother a meaningful look.

"Time? Time for what? What is it time for?" I asked, the circumstances were hella suspicious.