16. The Naughty Boy

Chapter 16. Naughty Boy:

Maddison Seyfried isn't your everyday brawler. She isn't aggressive, she doesn't blindly pick a fight. In fact, she's one to shy away from any and all confrontation. She'll bristle at things but brush them off, she actually - quite frustratingly - refuses to deal with things.

What I'm saying is, it's not every day I see Maddy launch herself at another person with the intention of ripping shimmer dresses to shreds. So I was shockingly slow on the uptake.

Bee didn't seem to be one to take a threat like that lightly either because she hopped up, grabbing the closest thing she could find as a weapon, which happened to be a cushion.

Non-threatening, right?

Wrong.

Unlike Maddy, Bee had training and it sure wouldn't fail her even if she had to use feathers covered in cloth as her choice of weapon.

Stallion was between them faster than I could blink, holding a very displeased Maddy away from Bee who looked like she just couldn't wait for Mads to give her a reason.

Where is all this hostility coming from?

Maddy was the nicest and non-violent person I knew. Seeing her rage out at a relative stranger had shocked even Reed.

"Take that back, bitch. Your OTP sucks my OTP's ass!" She spat out.

This is about OTPs?

"Your OTP has zero scope, four eyes." Bee hissed back. "Total denial."

"Don't fucking call her four eyes, you marionette!" I snapped, jumping up from my still crouched position.

"That's right, you heard me. You mess with my suddenly aggressive best friend, you mess with me," I added, pushing Stallion's arms off Maddy. She'd stopped struggling to look at me with eyebrows raised in surprise.

"You know she's like a secret agent, right?" Julio called out to us, his hand having snuck up and pulled Bee back into a sitting position.

I shifted on my spot. "I know that, but don't tell Captain OTP here. You say the secret activation code and she turns into The Winter Soldier."

Maddy's face was red again but not just because of anger anymore.

"Do you ever speak in anything but references?" Stallion asked. His face was an alteration of amusement, sewn at the seams by irritation.

"Is your real name, 'shut the fuck up, hoe'?" I shot back. He let out a disbelieving huff.

"Na, actually, his real name is Adrian," Reed muttered, but as it so happened, while he was expecting to say it under the guise of more bickering on the part of everyone else, he said the words at the opportune moment of an utter silent pause.

"How the hell do you know that?" I asked. My mind buzzing like static TV again. Reed knew Stallion's name. Stallion's name was Adrian.

Stallion blanched even though he attempted to cover up with, "No it's not!"

"Adrian?" I let the word fall from my lips and his gaze shot to mine, distressed.

My mind reeled into the past. To one of my first memories.

~~~

"Kaileigh, this is Adrian." My mother introduced us. I was maybe six and a bit.

The boy in front of me had sunkissed-blonde hair and blue eyes.

He smiled at me toothily. "Hi, Kai-lee!"

"Hi." I greeted him too, excitedly. He was a few years older but he seemed friendly and let me join him in play.