Chapter 9- Edited

Audrey's POV

As the window in Cole's room began to rattle from the strong winds and heavy rain from outside, I woke from my dreams. I was wrapped in Cole's muscular arms, feeling safe and warm and I smiled as he pulled me closer while he slept, tightening his soft embrace around me.

As I closed my eyes to fall back into my dreams I heard commotion coming from down stairs. I looked over at his clock to see it was only 3:18 in the morning. I couldn't help but wonder what people could be arguing about so loudly this late into the night.

I listened carefully, hearing their voices rising as they got more and more agitated. I could only make out Cole's parents yelling at someone downstairs. Only when I faintly heard my mother's voice, I untangled myself from Cole's arms, careful not to wake him. I slowly pulled open his door and crept to the top of the stairs and their voices became clear.

"Why won't you just consider our offer?" my father said, just as agitated as everyone else in the room.

"Because they're mates, Bryan. We can't separate them, you know that! Especially when our sons Alpha. He won't go a day without trying to rip your head off your shoulders. This is wrong, to separates mates from each other. You are not her parents any longer. She's of age to make her own decisions." Cole's mother argued, actually shutting my parents up for a few seconds.

'Go Mrs. Bayer.' I said to myself as I smirked at her argument.

"We just need her for a few days" My mom said, practically pleading to Cole's dad.

"I'm sorry, but my wife is right. It would be best if you left now." He cautioned with steel in his tone, leaving little room for argument but my parents simply stood their ground, not moving from their places.

"It's been so long since she ran away." My mom cried, "We just wanted to get to know her again for the weekend." With that I jumped down the stairs to protest, unable to stop myself.

"I did not run away!" I snarled at them. "You threw me out because you thought I was weak!" I practically yelled as my mother scowled at me with rage.

"Is this true?" Mrs. Bayer asked, gawking at them.

"Of course not!" my mother exclaimed. "Why would we do such a horrible thing?"

"Because you never loved me." I said with everyone's faced painted with horror.

We all heard a loud boom as we saw Cole come down the stairs, his face strained with someone's hand around his throat.

"John.." I gasped as I saw his face with his hand around my mate's throat. "Please leave him alone, John." I pleaded but John just smirked as he tighten his grip, making Coles face turn white. Suddenly, he threw Cole across the room with ease like he was nothing more than a baseball, successfully making him crash into the opposite wall.

John ran over to him as he got up and punched him in the stomach knocking the air out of him with a loud grunt from Cole. He kneed Cole in the ribs making him fumble back and giving John time to pull out a knife in defense. He ran at Cole as he swung his knife, just barely missing his ear but successfully scratching his cheek, drawing blood. He laughed as Cole viciously charged him but John sidestepped and easily threw Cole into the wall again. He instantly turned around and caught Cole in the square of his back with his knife, making him fall to his knees in pain.

"Cole!" I yelled as he fell to the floor, lifeless.

---

"Cole!" I screamed myself awake, feeling Cole's arms tightening around me, cradling me.

"Audrey, what's wrong?" He quickly asked being forced awake from my scream. I silently hugged him back as hard as I could pressing my ear to his chest, listening to his heart beat thump in rhythm with mine.

"Cole." I whispered as we held each other. I felt my cheeks wet again with tears as he kissed my forehead. "Please don't leave me." I whimpered as he held me tighter.

"I'm not going to leave you, ever." he whispered, silent for a few long moments before he began running his fingers through my hair. "Whatever it was, it was just a dream. Go back to sleep, love." He whispered to me laying me back down to sleep in his arms while he rubbed small circles on my back. I slowly fell back sleep, only praying that I didn't have anymore nightmares like that one ever again.

---

Cole's POV

At school the next day, I sat next to my little mate in 4th period as the teacher started handing out quiz papers.

"We need Audrey Matthews to come to the office." The intercom bellowed through the silent classroom. The teacher nodded to the beauty beside me signalling for her to go. As she got up to leave, my wolf growled at me for letting her go alone.

'She's a big girl.' I argued with my wolf.

'John is out there trying to kill her! She doesn't need to go anywhere on her own.' he growled at me.

'It's not like I want to leave her either.' I growled back.

'Then don't.' he snarled before finally laying down in submission. I agreed with him, but I couldn't follow her everywhere like a love sick puppy, even though I was one.

After 30 minutes she still hadn't come back and I began to worry about what was taking Audrey so long in the main office. I raised my hand as the teacher looked my way.

"Bathroom?" I asked. He nodded and I hurried out of the room, pacing down towards the office.

"Is Audrey Matthews in the office?" the secretary looked up from her computer at my question as I quickly entered the office.

"No, we didn't call her." she replied as she turned back to her computer. I growled with worry and I ran back out.

"Then where is she?" I asked out loud.

'You shouldn't have let her go alone!' my wolf growled at me.

"This is not the time!" I growled to him out loud. "Where is she?" I asked myself again. A lot could have happened to her in half an hour. Her parents and John ran through my head as I walked outside for some fresh air to help me think.

I had this awful feeling in my gut that something bad had happened but I couldn't think of her getting hurt.

After decoding that I wouldn't be able to focus in school whole worrying about Audrey I quickly jumped in my car and drove home. On the way to the pack house I pulled out my phone, quickly dialing her number from memory. It rang 4 times before it went to voicemail, making me growl. I hung up and tried again, but recieved the same answer.

"I'm not sure what to tell you, son." my father said solemnly when I told him that Audrey had vanished. They both really loved Audrey and were worried as well when I had told them. I explained what she told me about her parents and John, and they still couldn't think of anything

"Do you think John or her parents could have taken her? They were all threatening her the other day. I just really have a bad feeling." I said pacing around the kitchen. My mom shook her head,

"I'm not sure Cole. Has she answered her phone at all?" she asked.

"No. She always answers her phone." I said running my hands through my hair.

After a while of silence, my phone beeped and I quickly slipped it out of my pocket. It was from Audrey's phone so I instantly answered it.

"Audrey, baby where are you? Are you ok?" I said quickly.

"Sorry. She can't come to the phone right now. She's a little busy running from my hunters in the west woods." I heard John laugh on the other end of the line. My hands balled into fists at my sides when I heard his voice and I saw my parents faces paint with worry.

"If you even think about touching her-" I said before he cut me off.

"What are you going to do? You going to send your little wolves after me? I kill wolves for a living, tough guy."

"Yeah?" I said steel leaving into my voice, "Well you've never fought the Alpha of the strongest pack in the East region before either. You've never fought me."

I hung up. My dad nodded as he called all the fighters in our pack to help locate Audrey. I ran out the door, tearing off my clothes before I shifted, full of rage as I ran for the west woods.