Chapter 3

Audrey's POV

Third block went by quickly without a certain male in the room to occupy my every thought. Instead, my wolf insisted on continuing this pointless argument.

'You know exactly why we can't get involved with him. It's just not an option.'

'You're just making excuses.' She argued back. 'That's all you ever do is make excuses so that you never have to do anything different from what you know.'

'What I know has kept us alive this far.' I reminded her. 'I wish we could stay here and live happily ever after but think realistically. If we stay here for too long, the hunters will find us and end up killing us and possibly him as well. We'll be putting this entire pack in danger just because you wanted to be selfish.' My comment finally shut her up for the moment but I knew there was more to come later. This conversation far from over.

The bell finally rang to signal everyone's lunch break which was a saving grace for almost everyone in the school. The schedule allowed for an hour lunch break for the students to eat and take a break from their classes before getting launched right back in them after the hour was up.

I was slowly making my way towards the large, loud Olympic sized cafeteria before my eyes caught a glimpse of a lush, green enclosed courtyard that sat caddy corner to the other side of the meal hall. Much more my speed.

Crossing the cafeteria, I walked out one of the double sets of doors and down the short breezeway before coming to the glass doors that opened up into the enclosed courtyard. While all four of the walls of the courtyard were glass, the lack of roof allowed for a refreshing amount of sunlight to lightly warm the peaceful area. The yard was both roomy enough for a few dozen people to sit and eat lunch while also cozy enough to curl up with a good book for a few hours. Trees with colorful autumn leaves dotted the yard while still blooming flowers lined the outside of a few soft mulch circles.

Once inside the private zen box, I released a grateful sigh when I closed the cafeteria door behind me to hear absolutely nothing around me apart from a pair of birds that had taken nest in one of the short Japanese maple trees across the way. Sweet, sweet silence.

Having my already bagged lunch in my hand, I decided to sit underneath the Japanese maple that housed the bird pair. The leaves were just thick enough that it offered shade while light was still able to trickle through in spots and warm the space around me. Deciding against my headphones, I enjoyed the moment of quiet with my back against the sturdy tree as I ate my lunch in peace.

With a little over 30 minutes left in the lunch block after I finished my meal, I decided to do some work while I had nothing better to do. It would be less that I would have to do tonight when my warm bed calls to me.

Not long after I had started on some of my homework, two large feet appeared in front of me.

Looking up somewhat surprised someone else had ventured out here, my eyes connected with Cole's deep green ones staring back at me. He was simply standing there with an apple as he tossed it back and forth between his hands, almost nervously. I simply waited for him to begin, taking in his dimples as he smiled at me.

"Hey." He finally made out, still tossing the apple in his hands.

"Hi." I replied softly. By now, I was wondering what he was doing out here talking to me. I was sure he had tons of friends inside that should be keeping him company. Why was he out here talking to the rogue, even if I was his mate.

Technically, our mate connection didn't mean anything because of his alpha title. Alphas were known to breed with the strongest females to ensure healthy, strong pups in their alpha bloodlines. This rogue did not fit that description.