[ 04 | Inevitable ]

Untouchable

"It only hurts because you care. And it hurts them, too, even if it's only a little."

--Lily H.

[ 04 | Ellie Maye's Inevitable Fall ]

For a brief moment, I didn't think he'd show up. It wouldn't have surprised me if he decided that I wasn't worth the effort of getting up at eight in the morning on a Saturday, all my doubts went away, however, when I saw a familiar sleek black car stroll down the street, stopping in front of my driveway. I smiled to myself, getting up from the porch and making my way to Gavin's car. The window rolled down and I couldn't help but marvel at the gloomy expression he held.

"Get in," he grumbled, eyes glaring at the steering wheel. I ignored his hostile tone and made myself comfortable in the car as he ranted. "Fuck it, Penelope. Where the hell do you have to be at such a fucking goddamn hour on a Saturday? Goddamn it, I was in a middle of a fantastic dream and your stupid phone call had to wake me up from it."

I simply smiled and grabbed one of the two cups of coffee sitting on the cup holders. I wasn't going to admit to it aloud but I thought that it was a bit adorable as to how he whined so much about the smallest things but never really mean them. When he noticed that I didn't egg him to continue his little ranting, Gavin glared at me.

"Seatbelt," he muttered as he reached for it before I had the chance to buckle it myself and secured it in the lock. I met his gaze and gave him a questioning look. I didn't think he'd care much about car safety since he seemed like the kind of guy who would break every possible law he could. Then again, over the time I've spent with him, I noticed that his bad boy look was just one ginormous facade. Gavin was bubblegum sweet when he wants to be.

He noticed that I was eyeing strangely, which caused him to lift the corner of his lips upwards. He began driving, and the smile on his lips didn't disappear. "Can't have you dying on me before I collect your payment from this."

"And here I thought you were doing this out of the goodness of your heart."

He laughed dryly.

"Sweetheart."

I felt his hand on my knee, his thumb rubbing the skin in a slow, circular motion. I might have sucked in a breath. Whether he noticed it or not, he didn't give any signs because he just started driving, his eyes on the road. I used that time to study his profile. He had dark stubbles around his jaw, indicating that he was a day or so behind shaving and the longer I stared at him, I noticed his lips lifting up into a smirk.  He glanced at me once before stating, "I thought that you would have known that my services aren't free."

Rolling my eyes, I looked away and ignored him comment. Staring at the window, I thought about what he'd said. Of all the times I called up on him to do something for me, he'd never done them without taking naming some sort of price in return.

"You missed the turn to Ashcroft," I told him, not meeting his gaze though I was almost sure that he was rolling his eyes.

Gavin turned the car, and sighed. "Don't tell me you signed up for Saturday school." He didn't sound mocking at all. In fact, there was a hint of curiosity in his voice, as if something like me going to school to study on a Saturday was not impossible.

"Sweetheart," I retorted, mimicking the pet name he'd often use when he made fun me. "I won't tarnish your little badass reputation with Saturday school." I hit his arm lightly and he chuckled. "It's for the runaway. Ellie was supposed to pick me up but she never showed up."

"And how is the little princess doing lately?" he asked, glancing at me before turning his gaze back to the road.

I shrugged. "I wouldn't know." I haven't talked to Ellie for a couple of days. It kind of pissed me off. This little under-the-radar thing she was doing was a little annoying and it was putting a damper in my plans. She hasn't showed up at lunch and no one had seen her in her classes and if they did, she wouldn't speak to them and she'd disappear as soon as class ended.