[08 | Green]

[08 | Green Eyed Monsters]

When the doorbell rang, I ran down the stairs, deserting my book, in hopes to get there as quickly as I could. With a deep breathe in an attempt to calm down and look like I was unimpressed and not expecting anyone to be here, I pulled the door open. I hadn't talked to Gavin last night which irked me slightly. Mostly because he'd said he'd call and he never did. I could have been doing something more productive instead of just waiting for the bastard's name to blink in my phone. I was going to give him a piece of my mind for leaving me hanging like that.

Surprise, surprise when it wasn't him standing out my driveway the very next day to apologize and attempt to get me in his bed. Instead, my eyes met a pair of dark ones and I wasn't sure if it was disappointment that I was feeling relief.

"Cole?"

"Morning, sweetheart," he greeted with a small smile, scratching that back of his neck. He looked like he just got out of the shower, his hair was still damp and he smelled really nice. Not that I was sniffing him—the smell of his soap was just strong. "Did I wake you up?"

I shook my head and sighed, giving up on Gavin. If he wanted to talk to me, he better put the effort. I wasn't going to run into his arm the moment he appears—no. I would make him beg, grovel and among other things that will break down his stupid pride. That should teach him.

"No, I was awake a while ago," I answered, opening the door more. It was cold outside and the air was a bit dry. As much as I didn't want it to happen, winter was coming. "Get in, it's rather cold today."

Cole shrugged off his jacket and walked to my living room, plopping down on the couch like he had last night. He turned his attention to my direction, taking in my blue PJs and white, fuzzy slippers. The corner of his mouth lifted upwards as his eyes met mine.

"Go get changed into something comfortable," he instructed, his tone suggested that there was no room for argument. His words were absolute. "You're spending the day with me."

I would have been scared with Cole barging in my home like that but with the amount of time I've spent with Gavin, the way Cole barked out things didn't frighten me as it did others. "It's barely been twelve hours and you missed me already," I teased and he chuckled in response.

"Ten minutes, Penny. We're already late." Without argument, I changed into a warm sweater and a pair of jeans before checking my phone again for any missed calls.

There was none.

I sighed, shoving the phone in my purse, deciding that wasn't going to wait on Gavin. When I was down the stairs, Cole was texting someone and he looked rather concentrated on his phone. I cleared my throat and when he looked up, I asked: "Where are you taking me?"

He glanced back on his phone and said, "Everyone's busy today so I figured I'd take you out to the movies."

I rolled my eyes, loomed over him with my hand crossed over my chest, pretending to look rather annoyed and impatient. "You can barely sit and stay focused last night," I noted, remembering how Cole barely paid attention to the screen the whole time, his attention drifting from the TV to everything else in the house.

He chuckled. "Alright, fine," he muttered, putting the phone on his back pocket as he stood up. "I need help picking out gifts."

"For what?"

He looked at me like I was stupid but didn't say anything hurtful. "Christmas," he answered with a shrug. My heart fell for a second. I haven't gone Christmas shopping since the last Christmas Lily was still ...alive. After that, I didn't really a have a family anymore. Just a mom who I see once or twice a year and a dad who worked more than it was healthy. The holidays were just any other day of the year. The only difference was that there were red-and-white themed parties and a lot of candy canes.