[ 03 | The Stitch ]

Untouchable

"They're not perfect, and I accept that. We have flaws, and that's what makes us human."

--Lily H.

[ 03 | The Stitch in the Broken Relationship ]

"Ellie Mayes."

Ellie turned to me, her eyes full of panic as she tightened the grip on my arm when we heard the nurse call for her name. For a brief moment, I contemplated on whether or not I should push her off of me and tell her to stop being a baby. This wasn't the same girl I dealt with two years back when she bumped into a scary looking punk. Ellie Mayes was fearless and held her head high.

When I look at her now, with her eyes wondering nervously around the room, her fingers fidgeting with her jacket, her lips set into a deep frown, I knew she was breaking, and that thought made the devil in me bubble with excitement.

"You'll be fine," I said soothingly, patting her on the back as I offered her a small smile.

She turned to face me, nodding slightly, looking so unsure. With a gulp, she stood up and dragged me to the room with her, looking at me with wide eyes filled with fears. For a second, I almost regretted what I did.

But it was only for a second because the moment I took my eyes off of hers, all I saw was the white, empty halls of the hospital and I suddenly felt very claustrophobic. I took a shaky breathe and gold her hand to steady myself. The memory of the night we rushed Lily to the hospital was still clear in my mind.

I could remember the blood, the frantic shouting, the pained cries of my parents, and the muffle apologies of the doctors. I held onto Ellie's arm for support. Being in this place made me sick to my stomach, but I needed to be here to make sure that things were going smoothly according to plan.

The doctor didn't look pleased of my presence but Ellie convinced her that I was needed in the room. The doctor questioned her about her health and how she was doing, and Ellie answered all her questions honestly. She didn't hesitate when she was asked about her sexual activities and I was slightly surprised that the doctor kept a straight face with Ellie's answers.  I supposed it was her job to be professional about this.

"Penny, hold my hands please," Ellie asked, the moment her doctor stated that it was time for the blood test. She closed her eyes shut when the doctor turned to us, holding a cotton ball and a small needle. She kept her grip tight around my arm as the doctor neared.

After much squirming and a bit of tears, the doctor was able to take out a few little test tubes of blood and told me to make sure that she didn't drive.

So that's what I did.

I couldn't risk her dying in a car accident, it would spoil my plans.

"Thanks for being a friend, Penny," she said smiling slightly as I parked in front of her rather huge house. She was looking a little pale and I handed her the burger we picked up along the drive back to her home. "I'm super glad we met. You're the only one I can really trust, you know?"

"Anytime, Ellie," I said with the same smile. "What'd you make the appointment from anyway? Are you missing some vaccines? Are you finally getting the flu shot?" I faked a laugh.

Ellie Mayes looked down, blushing furiously at the question. She didn't say anything for a while, which I assumed meant that she wasn't going to tell me. I didn't care. I already knew why she got her blood tested.

When I was about to repeat Gavin's word where she didn't have to tell me if she wasn't ready, Ellie cleared her throat and looked up, her bright eyes meeting mine. She sniffled slightly and wiped the tears that began to fall from them.