Chapter 5- Kitchen Talk

Kelly sank her hands into the soapy water, listening to her mom chatter about something that had happened at her work. She shot Rylie a pained expression. Her friend chuckled softly, never pausing in chopping up the vegetables on the cutting board.

A sigh brought Kelly's attention back to her mother. The woman's silvery head was bowed over the soup pot, and she suddenly looked much older than she was. Kelly's brow furrowed worriedly. "...Mom? You okay?"

"It's just..." Her mom turned to her, eyes watery. "It's just hard being here without Samantha."

Kelly inwardly groaned. Of course her mother would do this. "Mom, it's been a few years now. I've learned to cope with it." She scrubbed a mixing bowl clean, placing it in the clean rinse water. "Besides, Zach is here-"

Her mother's sob interrupted her. "Are you trying to replace her?" Crystal had rounded on her, her teary eyes blazing. "She is your own daughter!"

Calling upon the patience that got her through dealing with many of her clients, Kelly met her mother's furious eyes with a calm expression. "I'm not trying to replace her, Mom-"

"Then why is that boy here? The delinquent?" The hiss that came with the label brought a scowl to Kelly's mouth, but she remained silent while Crystal spoke her piece. "If you loved your daughter so much, then why was it so easy for you to go and pick up a brat like that boy?"

Rylie placed a gentle hand on the older woman's shoulder. "Mrs. Chaparral, that's not what she-"

"Why else would she bring him here?!"

It seemed there was no getting through to her mother. Kelly sent Rylie a silent look of thanks for her attempt while Crystal braced herself on the counter. She rubbed small circles on her mother's back. "Mom, why don't you go upstairs and rest? Rylie and I can finish here."

Wordlessly, her mother nodded, then slipped up the stairs. Mooney, perched on the stairs, was quick to stay from under her feet. He skittered down to his side table, where he reached out a paw toward Kelly, looking for food.

She scratched the siamese cat's tawny back, shaking her head. "She doesn't act like this when I go to their house. I don't understand why being here is causing her emotions to run wild."

Rylie went back to chopping vegetables. "I don't want to sound like her," she mused, "but maybe it's Zach. Being here on its own wouldn't have been a problem, right?"

"I don't know." Kelly followed her friend, and went back to washing dishes. " They haven't been here since the funeral. I was always going there, and sending the horses home for the holidays. But I wanted them to see how the place is doing, and to meet Zach." She sighed. "Zach can't replace my daughter, and I don't replace Zach's parents. I wish she could see that."

Rylie finished the last celery stalk, and carried the cutting board to the soup pot, carefully scraping the choppings into the simmering broth. "I don't know what to tell you, Kelly." She jerked her head to sweep her brown hair out of her face. "You know how hard it was for me to get Dune to open up about Adrian. And I know I can't replace her, just like he could never fill the spot Jonathan held." She turned and smiled wanly at Kelly. "But things worked out, and they'll work out for you, too."

Kelly snorted. "I don't think me getting married again is going to solve my problems, though."

"Well no, of course not." Rylie chuckled, then cocked her head. "Did your parents like Colton?"

Sadly, Kelly shook her head. "Not really. No one really did, at first. I don't know why. It took everyone in town a while to see that he was golden." She sighed. "I wish he was here. And Samantha. Mom's not the only one hurting."

Rylie pulled her in for a hug. "I know," she whispered. "If I could bring them back for you, I would." She pulled away slightly to look into Kelly's eyes. "But God gave you Zach, now. And you both have each other." She smirked. "Considering how you said no one liked him when he came, I can only imagine how great he is."

They both started laughing, then stopped as the door slammed open. Piper, asleep under the table, jumped and knocked her head against the underside as Ronnie stormed in. "Kelly, you need to keep control of that boy!" His shout sent Mooney dashing out of the room. "I walked out there, and he was working with that new horse you got in today!"

Kelly wiped her hands clean, her brow furrowed at her dad. "Why is that a problem? He's done that-"

"Kelly, we're talking thousands of dollars sitting in that barn! Do you realize what you're doing when you let that hooligan mess with them? What if he hurts one?"

She felt helpless, and she knew Rylie felt the same. "Dad, he hasn't done anything wrong while he's been here-"

"Hell, Kelly, you don't know that!" Ronnie's face turned a shade redder. "He could have taken your pay right from under your nose, and you'll never know! You never think before you do things! And you!" He pointed a finger at Rylie, who shrank back at his finger. "You and that damn thing you call a husband shouldn't be here, either!" Ronnie turned back to his daughter. "Where's your mother?"

"Upstairs." Kelly responded, not meeting his eyes. As he stomped upstairs, the door opened again. Both girls looked up at Dune. He gave them both a tight smile. "Is Zach still out there?" Kelly asked. When he nodded, she grabbed her coat and boots, slipping everything on before heading out. 

^^^

Well this updating daily thing is CRAZY! Don't worry, though, I'm going to handle it!